In Memory of Col. Luis A. Tavarez

FriscoHare

FriscoHare

Hello everyone,

For my 500th post and in honor of V-E Day, I would like to post the biography I wrote up of Col. Luis A. Tavarez of the famed 65th Infantry Regiment. I bought 56 of his WWII patches from his vast collection, which became the foundation of my personal collection. Although he passed in December 2007, his deeds and his legacy goes unforgotten. Gracias, Colonel...

post-4247-1241887016.jpg

Colonel (then First Sergeant) Luis A. Tavarez of the

65th Infantry Regiment on R&R in Japan, 1952.

FriscoHare

Colonel Luis A. Tavarez

Serial Number 02263687 – From San Juan, Puerto Rico. Volunteered for the 65th Infantry Regiment in 1943 as an enlisted man. He landed in France in September 22, 1944 and the 65th was assigned to the Maritime Alps at Piera Cava. On March 18, 1945, the regiment moved to the District of Mannheim, Germany and performed occupation duties, anti-sabotage, and security missions.

It was during this time that Luis began his insignia collection. After the war and once Denazification of Germany began, the German population was ordered to destroy all Nazi items with the swastika. However, soldiers, like Tavarez, decided to send home large amounts of Nazi memorabilia. He was able to get “the pick of the crop” of Nazi collectibles. The 65th sailed out from France on October 27, 1945 and arrived in Puerto Rico on November 9.

The outbreak of the Korean War brought the 65th Infantry Regiment back to action. The regiment, now attached to the 3rd Infantry Division, arrived in Pusan, Korea on September 23, 1950. Lacking warm clothing during the harsh winters, the regiment fought off waves of Chinese People’s Liberation Army soldiers. During one mission, the regiment supported the U.S. Marines during their withdrawal from the Chosin Reservoir. For supporting the Marines to safety, the Navy subsequently awarded the men of the 65th IR the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal.

By the beginning of 1952, Tavarez was a Master Sergeant in 3rd Battalion. He was awarded a Bronze Star for Meritorious Service for his actions between January 23 and June 22, 1952. He was promoted to First Sergeant of Company “K.”

July 3, 1952 began a 47-day campaign to defend the Main Line of Resistance (MLR). By this time, regiment promoted First Sergeant Tavarez to Second Lieutenant and transferred him to Company “B.”

On July 5, 1952, in Chokko-ri, Korea, Lieutenant Tavarez witnessed an artillery shell overturn a friendly vehicle, injuring its occupants. He and his men rushed to help. Tavarez then ordered his men to take cover from the artillery fire as he administered first aid to the injured. He crossed a shell torn area, bringing them to safety. He had the wounded evacuated to an aid station for further medical assistance. For his actions that day, he was awarded the Bronze Star with “V” device.

Lieutenant Tavarez and the 65th participated in the Battle of Outpost Kelly in September 1952. During that battle, a mortar explosion wounded him, damaging his eardrum. In October, the regiment fought in the Cherwon Sector, and on Iron Horse, Hill 391. Company “G” was to hold the lower part of the hill named “Jackson Heights” but the Chinese surrounded the company and had to withdraw from their position. After these battles, the army relieved the 65th’s commanding officer since February 8, 1952, Col. Juan Cesar Cordero with Col. Chester B. DeGavre.

Col. DeGavre became upset at the fact that Company “G” did not hold Hill 391. He ordered the regiment to stop calling itself the “Boriqueneers,” cut its special rations of rice and beans, and induced other humiliating punishments.

DeGavre had 162 Puerto Ricans of the 65th placed under arrest for retreating from Hill 391. Between November 23 and December 26, 1952, 95 were court martialed, 91 were found guilty and dishonorably discharged. The Secretary of the Army Robert Stevens later granted the 91 soldiers clemency or were pardoned.

Because of this “shakedown,” the 65th Infantry Regiment transferred 95% of its Puerto Rican solders to other regiments. As a result, Tavarez was transferred to the 47th Infantry Division stationed in Germany.

In 1958, Tavarez left active service and joined the 296th Infantry Division, Puerto Rican National Guard. He went to Ranger school in Georgia. Upon his return, he became Adjutant to Brigadier General Juan Cesar Cordero, the Adjutant General of the Puerto Rican National Guard and the former commander of the 65th Infantry Regiment.

He also worked as military instructor at the Officer’s Academy in Salinas, Puerto Rico for many years. In later life he was liaison officer for the Puerto Rico State Department until his retirement in 1984 as a Colonel.

Tavarez received the following medals: Purple Heart, Army Good Conduct, Bronze Star with two stars, World War II Victory, Army of Occupation, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, and American Campaign Medals.

The 65th Infantry Regiment was also awarded a Presidential Unit Citation, a Meritorious Unit Commendation and two Republic of Korea Unit Citations.

In private life, he was married to a French woman whom he met while in Europe. They had no children. Col. Tavarez passed away in December 2007.

• 2 months later...

Frisco,

I know its a bit late, but thanks for posting this. I was lucky enought to aquire a large portion of his SSI collection from a gentleman in Puerto Rico who had aquired his vast collection from COL Tavarez's wife after his death. Until now all I knew is he was in the 65th Inf Regt in WWII and Korea and retired as a COL. From the sounds of it the guy was quite a pack-rat with old military insignia of all types.

Vance