leggings

sharpsshooter

sharpsshooter

How can you tell the difference between the M1910 and the M1938 leggings? I read that the M1938 had 2 patterns, ( depending on the amount of hooks ) and the hook medal ( brass and steel ) How can you tell an original from a reproduction? I recently found a mint M1938 marked size 3 R by the U. O. COLSON CO. 9-3-42 W431 QM 10178 ( 0.1.2117 ) STOCK No. 72-L- 61895 JEFFERSONVILLE, Q. M. DEPOT It has 8 steel hooks. They were missing the laces. I paid about $55.00 I don't know if repros are stenciled?

New Romantic
How can you tell the difference between the M1910 and the M1938 leggings? I read that the M1938 had 2 patterns, ( depending on the amount of hooks ) and the hook medal ( brass and steel ) How can you tell an original from a reproduction? I recently found a mint M1938 marked size 3 R by the U. O. COLSON CO. 9-3-42 W431 QM 10178 ( 0.1.2117 ) STOCK No. 72-L- 61895 JEFFERSONVILLE, Q. M. DEPOT It has 8 steel hooks. They were missing the laces. I paid about $55.00 I don't know if repros are stenciled?

The 1910 leggings are different altogether from the M1938. I'm assuming you meant the 1916 leggings which are similar. The photo here isn't the best for details but it may give you a good idea of what the 1916 leggings look like. Theses will have fewer eyelets than the early M1938 leggings which have two eyelets per hook. An obvious difference is the buckle for the foot strap. WWII buckles are riveted to the leggings and WWI buckles are secured by leather or web chape. WWI foot straps are made from double sewn material. This one is a heavy brown duck. WWII foot straps are web and have a square end of brass or steel.

Your WWII leggings sound like originals and are easy to find on the market. However I think $55 is quite high.

post-599-1241908567.jpg

New Romantic
Aren't the WW1 leggings similar to the M1938 ones referred to as M1917???

Collectors use "M1917" most often to ID the leggings, but it's a pattern that the Army decided to issue in mid 1916.

sharpsshooter
The 1910 leggings are different altogether from the M1938. I'm assuming you meant the 1916 leggings which are similar. The photo here isn't the best for details but it may give you a good idea of what the 1916 leggings look like. Theses will have fewer eyelets than the early M1938 leggings which have two eyelets per hook. An obvious difference is the buckle for the foot strap. WWII buckles are riveted to the leggings and WWI buckles are secured by leather or web chape. WWI foot straps are made from double sewn material. This one is a heavy brown duck. WWII foot straps are web and have a square end of brass or steel.

Your WWII leggings sound like originals and are easy to find on the market. However I think $55 is quite high.

The first pair I found was at an antique shop. It had a tag that said it was from WW1? It has 8 brass hooks, 17 eyelets, foot strap is thick webbing with brass square tip, the black painted brass buckle is riveted to the canvas. I can barely see a size 2R no maker stamping. Near the top is ( 2 ) PH-75 stampings, one above the other, the panel with the eyelets have H-7136 vertically in ink, on the tops edge is stamped H7136 ???? My second pair is marked 2 GREGORY & READ NCO. NXSX 24662 3/12/43 BUSHEY, JOS. F? ( owners name? ) stencelled vertically in one inch letters. It has 7 steel hooks, 8eyelets, viveted steel buckle, thick web footstrap. And the one listed on my post. The $55.00 was the total with shipping.

sharpsshooter

Does anyone know where I can get a 3 pair of laces?

New Romantic
The first pair I found was at an antique shop. It had a tag that said it was from WW1? It has 8 brass hooks, 17 eyelets, foot strap is thick webbing with brass square tip, the black painted brass buckle is riveted to the canvas. I can barely see a size 2R no maker stamping. Near the top is ( 2 ) PH-75 stampings, one above the other, the panel with the eyelets have H-7136 vertically in ink, on the tops edge is stamped H7136 ???? My second pair is marked 2 GREGORY & READ NCO. NXSX 24662 3/12/43 BUSHEY, JOS. F? ( owners name? ) stencelled vertically in one inch letters. It has 7 steel hooks, 8eyelets, viveted steel buckle, thick web footstrap. And the one listed on my post. The $55.00 was the total with shipping.

Some antique dealers not familiar with militaria may often think a pair of WWII leggings are WWI. WWI leggings will be marked with size number only, for example just a 2, 3, or 4. In the early 1940's R was added for size regular, and L for long. Johan posted the most common variation of the 1916 leggings.