Navy Aeronautical Emergency Hat-Headnet

rambob

I don't know if this item has already been covered, but I was digging through my survival item box and noticed/remembered this bizarre contraption. A very intricate survivel hat, mint, still folded as when manufactured, with the original instructions. They just don't come any better than this. I carefully unfolded it just enough to take a few quick pictures, making sure I could fold it back exactly as original. The interesting/clever feature on this item is the spout on the top that is used to drain the hat into a container, when it is used to form a funnel after catching rain water. What will they think of next??

post-299-1241837059.jpg

craig_pickrall

Bob, neat hat. It has been a long time since I looked at one of those. Remember the good old days when those were setting around by the box full. I was trying to remember the price and I think it was 50 cent but may have been a buck.

Craig, thanks for the comments. I bought this hat at a gun show many moons ago for about $10.00. It was the only one I had seen at the time and I was amazed it still had the instruction page with it. I am not 100% sure what era it is from, WWII, Korea, etc. What do you think?

craig_pickrall

I picked up 3 or 4 of the hoods but didn't think to get one of the boxes. They came in a grey color solid fiber box and I would guess there were 24 to the box. The box looked just like the box the folding ski goggles came in but was larger. I am reasonably sure they are WW2 but don't have anything dated to prove that. I was expecting to see a date on your instruction sheet and was disappointed when I didn't. It has been years since I even opened the box I have these stored in.

That hat reminds me of a 1950's era air force survival manual I had a while back. I cant say that the manual referenced this or a similar item but it falls into the same category of items that would have been in there (probably been 10 years since I last saw that manual). I would guess 1950's, it just seems like the kind of thing they would have had around that time.

They were a component of the WWII USN M-592 survival kit. Lord only knows how long after the war they were still used.

tom thumbsup.gif

Tom, thanks for the info. I have Breuningers book on Survival Equipment and it details the M-592 contents. One item is stated as being the Mosquito Headnet M-565. I do not know if this M-565 is the item I have, or maybe it was substituted in for the M-565 headnet.

Bob

I think what you have is the M-565. Remember, unlike the Army, lots of USN-issue items have commercial tags.

TomDevilDog.gif