99th Infantry Bn

Antoon

I have two different patches of the 99th Infantry Bn.

The main different is the border of the sail and the border of the sea on the left side.

Are they both WW-2 made?

post-5276-1241805933.jpg

Corpl. Cleaver

Yeah look good, I was able to meet a 99th Vet 2 years ago, and if anyone is interested there is a book about him called "Red Wells." good book about his life and time with the 99th Bn.

Tyler

erikofnorway

Both are good wartime originals. But note that the white bordered version was never issued to the Battalion. Only the OD bordered was.

Erik

• 2 years later...

I have just uncovered information that the white bordered 99th patch also was in use in Norway in 1945. Both on the shirts and on Ike jackets. Although very limited. It appears that the 99th depot in Norway got some of these and they emerged on some uniforms june/july 1945.

I am working on a larger update on the webpage which will have photos.

Erik

BTW Erik, I guess you know our own Jon Gawne wrote an article about the 99th for the French Militaria Magazine?

It was published in the September 2011 issue and can be backordered thru their site...

http://militaria.histoireetcollections.com...ember-2011.html

First two pages

article_27781_1314732504.jpg

Yes, I helped Jon with this excellent article and provided him with material and many of the period photos.

Erik

I have just uncovered information that the white bordered 99th patch also was in use in Norway in 1945. Both on the shirts and on Ike jackets. Although very limited. It appears that the 99th depot in Norway got some of these and they emerged on some uniforms june/july 1945.

I am working on a larger update on the webpage which will have photos.

Erik

That is some good intel! Thanks Erik!

-Ski

I have been told that one of the 99th Infantry Battalion patches came in a cerial box back in the late 1940's. Does anyone know the circumstances around this, and if these patches were specifically made for this promotion? Also, is it possible to distinguish these from wartime patches?

Erik

I have been told that one of the 99th Infantry Battalion patches came in a cerial box back in the late 1940's. Does anyone know the circumstances around this, and if these patches were specifically made for this promotion? Also, is it possible to distinguish these from wartime patches?

Erik

No, they were not. Actual patches were used in the cereals in a deal that the Patch King made with Kelloggs. So, those 99th Bn patches were WWII era white bordered ones.

-Ski

Thanks for that info Ski. Here is white bordered patch in wear. Photo taken in Norway 1945. This will go on website in a short time as well.

post-3780-1317335701.jpg

• 2 months later...

Regarding the use of the OD bordered battalion patch, I have just uncovered additional information, both from a vet and from photographs.

One of the 99th vets told me last week that upon leaving France for Norway at the end of May 1945, they were ordered to put the US flag on their right sleeve, and the 474th patch on their left. The reason for the US flag was that they were uncertain if the local population would recognize them as Allied/US soldiers and liberators. To ensure they would not be mistaken for Germans or other occupying forces, orders were sent out to sew a US flag on their new Ike jackets.

I have always been under the impression that the 99th patch was issued and sewn on prior to leaving for Norway. I had seen pictures of teh US flag being worn on Armed Forces Day parades in Oslo (22nd June 1945), so I thought the flag was sewn on for this parade only.

After speaking to the 99th vet, I have also uncovered two very clear photographs dated 7th June 1945 (The Kings return when the 99th was Honor Guards) and 22nd June 1945, both pictures showing that the US flag was worn.

The 99th Infantry Battalion patch was therefore only sewn on the Ike jackets some time AFTER 22nd June 1945.

The US flags used were printed on vowen fabric, and are very hard to find. Most likely made in France. At this stage I only know of one original, still in the possession of a 99th vet. I assume that most of these flags were given away as gifts to Norwegian friends, or simply lost after they were replaced by the 99th patch.

Below picture is taken on Armed Forces Day (22nd June 1945) in front of City Hall in Oslo, where they had the staging area for the parade. It clearly shows the US flag in wear.

Erik

post-3780-1323543002.jpg

post-3780-1323543010.jpg

Here is a selection of white bordered 99th patches, including the very rare version with blue mast. The blue mast is identical to the OD bordered version, just with white border. You will see only ble mast for every 100 red mast patches for sale, and they demand a premium price when they come for sale.

Erik

post-3780-1323561815.jpg