• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

.30 M1 1943 Lake City

A friend of mine bought an M1 carbine and the seller gave him "what was left of what he didn't shoot." It was a box of 1943 Lake City ammo...with 15 rds. left! pinch.gif My friend couldn't believe it. Anyway, he brought it to me today, so that I could add it to my collection. He said that he wanted it back if I ever had the desire to shoot it. I told him that was not gonna happen! See picture below.

post-70-1241658526.jpg

GB

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2018.gif

I still shoot the stuff when I get it...At estate sale prices, its usually cheaper than buying retail...

When I bought my M1 Carbine in 1998 the USGI ammo...including the WW2...was often less expensive than the civilian stuff and being non corrosive you didn't mind shooting it. But I've noticed the supply is drying up.

Greg

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

When I bought my M1 Carbine in 1998 the USGI ammo...including the WW2...was often less expensive than the civilian stuff and being non corrosive you didn't mind shooting it. But I've noticed the supply is drying up.

Greg

I am fairly certain that WW2 ammo is going to be corrosive. I did not think they changed the powder until the 50's or 60's.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I am fairly certain that WW2 ammo is going to be corrosive. I did not think they changed the powder until the 50's or 60's.

That's what I thought but for some reason M1 Carbine ammo was non corrosive unlike all the other WW2 small arms ammo.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

Basically all US M1 Carbine ammunition was noncorrosive. The first test batches used the corrosive primer and it was found that since it was difficult to impossible to clean the gas piston, that the piston tended to rust shut in short order. All standard production was required to be noncorrosive.

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Please click here to read the tributes to Gary:

Basically all US M1 Carbine ammunition was noncorrosive. The first test batches used the corrosive primer and it was found that since it was difficult to impossible to clean the gas piston, that the piston tended to rust shut in short order. All standard production was required to be noncorrosive.

Wow. Good to know.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI for those interested, French made .30 carbine ammo is corrosive. As previously stated all real USGI ammo is non-corrosive.

Kyle

Looking for anything relating to the 78th US Naval Construction Battalion during WWII and the 26th Inf. Regt. 1st Inf. Div. during WWII

Just an FYI for those interested, French made .30 carbine ammo is corrosive. As previously stated all real USGI ammo is non-corrosive.

Kyle

Not sure if this ammo is still in production but at one time a company in China was manufacturing carbine ammo with "LC 52" headstamp and packing it in USGI lookalike boxes. It was an obvious attempt to fool buyers into believing they were buying US military surplus ammo. The stuff is VERY corrosive and should be avoided.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.