WWII M3 HOLSTER

Rhood

Hi

Can someone look at this M3 holster and tell me if its original or a repo I was told its authentic & all original. I would like to buy it if its the real thing and what are the things I should look for the Poyer book does not cover it to much.

Thanks

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1469-1.jpg

IMG_1468-1.jpg

IMG_1467-1.jpg

Nice original WW2 undated BOYT holster.You will find these with no date from time to time.Most likely made around 1943.

RD

• 8 months later...

I agree with those of you who tell that M3 posted looks good, originally. What is untypical however is the fact that the holster posted was made of metal-friendly leather. All, or majority, of M3s I have ever known were heavily green patinated on hardware due to chemicals applied for leather treatment.

craig_pickrall

Greg, I was thinking the same thing but when I saw just a hint of green on the close up of the LTD fastener I felt better about it. I have the exact holster in just about the exact condition. Mine has a little more green and it doesn't have the water spots on the leather strap. I got mine when they were common enough no one was reproducing them.

Greg, I was thinking the same thing but when I saw just a hint of green on the close up of the LTD fastener I felt better about it. I have the exact holster in just about the exact condition. Mine has a little more green and it doesn't have the water spots on the leather strap. I got mine when they were common enough no one was reproducing them.

Nice to see we think similarly. :thumbsup: :)

From my M3 every quarter I have to peel away tons of green patina and it rebuilds itself immediately like on coral reef. :disgust:

Best regards

Greg

In the peculiar case of Boyts M3s the "secret" is the markings font. Genuine like this one have the "Y" looking more like a "V".

Speaking of Boyt shoulder holsters-what did you do if you were left handed? :think: Maybe something like this ( a Boyt 44 USMC) holster I picked up some time back. Too bad a nice holster was 'ruined', but I imagine the guy that needed it like this didn't worry about that at the time. Anyway, I didn't feel too bad taking the cross strap from this to complete another Boyt M7 I have that was missing the strap.

S6000392.jpg

Good catch Artu, I too have seen the "repro" BOYTS with a very clear "Y", this one has a deep "V" and would make it very near "mint"

There is some verdigris (the green growth from the metal and leather treatment) but not much.....could have been stored very well though.

r/Gy Dan

Speaking of Boyt shoulder holsters-what did you do if you were left handed? :think: Maybe something like this ( a Boyt 44 USMC) holster I picked up some time back. Too bad a nice holster was 'ruined', but I imagine the guy that needed it like this didn't worry about that at the time. Anyway, I didn't feel too bad taking the cross strap from this to complete another Boyt M7 I have that was missing the strap.

S6000392.jpg

Hello,

I did not know that also USMC ordered those M3s adjusted by punched shoulder straps and thongs. I have such an M3 but manufactured for the Army and by the Enger-Kress. I would say that WWII era M3s with such adjusting system are the rarest today.

Best regards

Greg

Good catch Artu, I too have seen the "repro" BOYTS with a very clear "Y", this one has a deep "V" and would make it very near "mint"

There is some verdigris (the green growth from the metal and leather treatment) but not much.....could have been stored very well though.

r/Gy Dan

I agree! Arturo scored a bull's eye. A very valuable information the more so that Boyt's ink stamps on webbing had normal "Y" looking correctly just like "Y".

I agree! Arturo scored a bull's eye. A very valuable information .

Yes, for fakers too......... I noticed it when I bought this one (surely original seeing its conditions).

post-67-1263973391.jpg

HELLO GUYS, GREAT FORUM!

I'M CONFUSED. IS THIS POST ABOUT AN M3 OR M7?

I RECENTLY PURCHASED A S&W VICTORY THAT LETTERED TO THE NAVY AND I 'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A SHOULDER HOLSTER. I THOUGHT THE M3 WAS CORRECT FOR THE VICTORY AND THE M7 WAS FOR THE 1911A1.

PLEASE HELP TO STRAIGHTEN OUT AN OLD GUY.

THANKS,

GLENN

The M3 and M7 are both for the M1911A1. The M3 has a single shoulder strap wherethe M7 has an added across the chest strap. The Victory Model holster has no "M" designation.

When you are chasing a shoulder holster for the Victory be sure that stitching contouring the pistol would be "S" shaped and not "Z" shaped like the one of the M3 for the .45.

post-67-1264752562.jpg