Shirt, flying, heavy

mireks

hello everybody, I have interesting shirt in my collection. It is heavy green wool like WWII blankets are.

label says:

SHIRT, HEAVY, FLYING

A-1

Does anybody know, what is it, when was it used, is there any other garment to be used with it...?

Thanks

Mirek

post-813-1176048781.jpg

Very nice shirt. It was issued to aviators throughout WW2, and was normally worn under a regular flying suit. It had matching pants marked, "Trousers, Flying, Inner, Type E-1". These pants had knitted cuffs and oval pads reinforcing the seat and knees.

Mickey

thanks for info. I have another question regarding this shirt.

If you can see there are lower pockets. I would like to know, how were they used? It should be very uncomfortable to load them and to wear trousers over the shirt. Or was the shirt worn over trousers?

doyou have any period picture of this garment being worn by aircrews?

thanks

Mirek

An Order Number with AF 33 is Air Force not Army Air Force. You see these shirts in sage green quite often but this is the first one I have seen in OD I would guess it is very early, right around 1947 before the Air Force started coming up with their own colours.

An Order Number with AF 33 is Air Force not Army Air Force. You see these shirts in sage green quite often but this is the first one I have seen in OD I would guess it is very early, right around 1947 before the Air Force started coming up with their own colours.

I concurr. The Catalog 13 of AAF equipment and clothing for WWII shows no such shirt.

Tom

PS. And, for what it is worth, Sweeting also makes no such mention of it.

I concurr. The Catalog 13 of AAF equipment and clothing for WWII shows no such shirt.

Tom

PS. And, for what it is worth, Sweeting also makes no such mention of it.

Hi Tom,

You asked me an interesting question. I have never thought about selling of it. On other hand, I am looking for USAAF WWII heated garments now. If you have some spare pieces in your collection, let's consider some trading

Mirek

Hi Tom,

You asked me an interesting question. I have never thought about selling of it. On other hand, I am looking for USAAF WWII heated garments now. If you have some spare pieces in your collection, let's consider some trading

Mirek

When I said "for what its worth", I meant for what the information is worth.

Thanks,

Tom

When I said "for what its worth", I meant for what the information is worth.

Thanks,

Tom

Understand. But thank you for your help. It very strange shirt and none of my fellows has ever seen it before. You are the first guys who know it.

Mirek

I too have wondered about these jackets seeing them from time to time over the years and would agree with QED in that it is a post WWII contract with AF making it atleast a 1947 jacket now if I recall correctly the services changed to MILSPEC in 1948, correct me if I am wrong! also making it hard is that there is not a PROPERY OF marking on the label so basically putting the jacket at 1947 but the spec.# has me wondering though it is awefully low being a four digit #.If a WWII spec. number it would be around a late 1942 garment but why does it not show up in the class 13 catalog .There is two parts to the catalog the first section is sept. 1943 with a revision april 1944 in the back with no pictures and there is a JACKET-FLYING TYPE A-1 listed there but no pictures or spec number is this that garment and if not what is the JACKET-FLYING TYPE A-1? It also lists it as a AN6501 part number making it a Army-Navy garment and if memory serves I have seen these with buaer contracts but again post WWII contracts

The contract on this shirt is post WWII but would not make it a post WWII spec. shirt.This garment and the E-1 trousers are mentioned in sweetings book page 66 but very limited information.

Based on the spec.# right now I have to believe this to be a WWII developed piece.I too have seen the AF blue version of this and have seen several pair of the E-1 trousers with US AIR FORCE on hip not ARMY AIR FORCE though.

The thing that puzzles me the most is the style of the shirt it does not make sense as in it's purpose.Shearling was still being used but bulky and the wool is less making it a type of "escape jacket" for lack a a better discription like the A-6 flight boots you were to wear regular sevice shoes with them in case of bailout you can ditch the bulky A-6/A's.

Just my 2 cents on this subject

• 2 years later...