US flight instruments ?

B52

Hello,

I would like to get informations about those 2 flight instruments (on what type of aircraft were they used ?)

1/ a sort of altimeter :

CLIMB

HUNDRED FT. PER MINUTE

A.C.U.S ARMY TYPE A-6 SER. NO. AC 39-1605 made by KOLLSMAN

CIMG3832.jpg

CIMG3833.jpg

2/ a second instrument (badin?) :

CIMG3830.jpg

CIMG3831.jpg

Thanks,

B52

Pretty straight forward stuff, I think. #1 is a rate of climb indicator and is exactly what it says; it measures how fast you or climbing or descending...feet per minute. The "S" port on the back is for the static air line which is the air pressure where ever the aircraft may be. Since the statec (outside) air pressure decreases with altitude that info is fed to the indicator which makes a read out for the pilot to see. Good information to avoid stall attitudes. #2 is an airspeed indicator for a pretty slow aircraft being red lined at 160 kts. It also receives static air information (bottom fitting) but also pitot air pressure (center fitting). Pitot air is ram air received when the aircraft is in motion. Since the air is thinner at altitude which affects the pitot pressure the static pressure info is also needed to compute true airspeed.

What kind of aircraft they were in is hard to say. Almost all older aircraft will have these two basic indicators in them; sort of like cars and speedometers....

I would speculate that they are from a low performance aircraft since the max rate of climb is only 2000 feet per minute and the air speed is red lined at 160 kts with a minimum of a little over 50 kts. Hope this helps.

Bob Hudson
Hello,

I would like to get informations about those 2 flight instruments (on what type of aircraft were they used ?)

1/ a sort of altimeter :

CLIMB

HUNDRED FT. PER MINUTE

A.C.U.S ARMY TYPE A-6 SER. NO. AC 39-1605 made by KOLLSMAN

This would seem to be early or even pre-WWII since it uses the "A.C. U.S ARMY," a designation for AIR CORPS, US. ARMY - at some point in the war they started using "AF" instead of "AC" for part numbers.

This would seem to be early or even pre-WWII since it uses the "A.C. U.S ARMY," a designation for AIR CORPS, US. ARMY - at some point in the war they started using "AF" instead of "AC" for part numbers.

Interesting precision ! thumbsup.gif