How To Tie the Holster Lanyard

vettepartz

vettepartz

I have noticed in many pictures of both WWI and WWII holsters, the lanyards are tied in a neat little knot, similar to a hangman's noose. Was the method of tying this ever published in an Army manual? Or is this just one of those little tricks that was passed on from soldier to soldier? Instructions of how to do this (with pictures) would really be appreciated. I am attaching one of my old pictures from a 1918 rig to show what I mean.

Holster01-1.jpg

BOB K. RKSS

it is tied in the same way as a Hangman's Noose. It's not called a "Lanyard", but a LEG TIE.

I've always wondered the same, one of mine is done and one isnt, but i wasn't dare going to take the finished one undone to see how it was achieved. Thanks

craig_pickrall

You also see them braided into a square. That is done like the key chain fob that we learned to make in Boy Scouts. I couldn't braid them then and still can't. My wife knows how but never has the time to do it for me. I think I like the square better than the round myself.

Lucky 7th Armored

I know this isn't a holster but i have a braided leg tie on my Cattaraugus Sheath

Here's some pictures of the braid design

post-5136-1241639896.jpg

And up close...

post-5136-1241639922.jpg

LoadedColt45

Here's an image that might help. As you can see, the knot is quite simple. Just make sure the loop at the bottom of the knot (where the neck goes) in the picture shown, is through the holes at the base of the holster.

hangmans_noose.gif

craig_pickrall

FS, thanks for the link to the square version. I think I might be able to do that.

LoadedColt45
Another question - does anyone know what the correct length a WWII leg strap should be? think.gif

Approx. 3 feet

Old Marine

That square braid is tricky, but keep messing with it and you'll get it. Once you get it, you'll "Get it" and know how to do it. That link above in post #8 from Forum Support is good.

Good Luck,

Dennis

I wanted to add a leg tie to my .45 holster as well as my rh-36 sheath. I hadnt made one since I was a kid at camp.

Luckily, my 8 year old was able to help! w00t.gif Actually, its like riding a bike, once she started to show me how, it all came back to me. thumbsup.gif

Here is my finished product.

100_1716.jpg

vettepartz

There has been a lot of good info here, you guys, and I appreciate it. I also like the square braid, but personally feel it looks to "Boy Scout" to be on something associated with a handgun. Just my opinion.

I was in a gunstore and the owner let me look at one of his personal books that had a lot of pictures of the older military holsters and every one of them had the tying on it like the hangman's noose. However, it is not exactly like the hangman's noose. In this picture of an 1918 S&R, notice that there is a butt end sticking out of both sides of the coil. The hangman's noose only has that on one side. I hope my explanation means enough to say what I mean.

LegTie01.jpg

Hey mate, i'd say what they've done there is, taken one end of the leather, ran it all the way down the centre of the braid and then done the hangmans noose over that piece, as usual, then just threaded/tightened the extra piece into the noose, pulled it tight and tightened the top. So essentially, just the same thing but no noose, it's been tightened in by the extra piece of leather, the same tied off thing on both sides, instead of just the top. Does that make sense, because i just re-read it and it sounds confusing even to me? hehe :P

Just wanted to say a big thanks again, did mine today and it looks great. Was a little confused at first on what to do with the other side of the leather, seeing as you only need one side to do the complete knot with. Basically, i just did what i pointed out just above, but not so far down. A little to the topside of halfway. Looks great

Charlie Flick

What a spare thong (not a lanyard) looks like before it goes on the holster is shown below. M1916 holsters came packed from the manufacturer with a thong tied through the grommets at the toe of the holster. They were not braided when new.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Holster_thong.jpg