D-Day Helmet Reflector and its storage case

SFTROOPER86

SFTROOPER86

Hello Gentlemen,

I was wondering if any of you have ever seen anything like this. Its in most of the books on D-Day. The rare part of this is the storage case.

Any thoughts?

My best,

Vince

dday1.jpg

dday2.jpg

dday3.jpg

dday4.jpg

dday5.jpg

dday6.jpg

dday8.jpg

craig_pickrall

They are a nice item. I don't have a case with a snap like yours. The case I have is just a slip case . This is an old pic that I took quickly to send someone a long time ago. I can do a better one if anyone is interested.

post-5-1241496793.jpg

General Apathy
Hello Gentlemen,

I was wondering if any of you have ever seen anything like this. Its in most of the books on D-Day. The rare part of this is the storage case.

Any thoughts?

My best,

Vince

Hi Vince, yes many of us have bought these over the years for our collections, the real carrying case for these before individual issue is actually a lead lined tin box holding 20 or possibly 24 pieces.

The white powder is radioactive and is either Radon or Radium, and as you will see marked on the case it states

' Poison', a simple declaration at that time back in the 40's. In 1995 a friend who worked in a British government establishment took one into work and asked the guys in the department for radioactivity to run it through the machine for recording radioactivity. They came back with disturbing levels of radioactivity and suggested that these things were not kept in a household environment. The greatest danger is if the clear plastic disc becomes cracked and leaks or leeches the powder within.

Below is a report on Radium and Radon from the United States Environmental Protection Agency website dated 2002.

USEPA, How can radium affect people’s health?

Exposure to radium over a long period may result in many different harmful effects. If inhaled as dust, or ingested as a contaminant, risk is increased for several diseases including, lymphoma, bone cancer, and haematopoietic (blood-formation) diseases, such as leukaemia, and aplastic anemia. These effects take years to develop. If exposed externally to radium’s gamma radiation, risk of cancer is increased in essentially all tissues and organs, though to varying degrees. However, in the environment, the greatest risk associated with radium is actually posed by it’s direct decay product radon. Radon has been shown to cause lung cancer.

My suggestion if you hang onto these is to make sure they are kept away from inquisitive children, and somewhere that you are not in regular contact with it.

Cheers ( Lewis )

dday5.jpg

dday8.jpg

SFTROOPER86

Hello,

Thank you Sir for the very complete report on the darker side of this item. How about as an Airborne collectable? Is this considered a rare item as I have presented it in its case?

Any guess on a fair market value?

De Oppresso Liber,

Vince

SFTROOPER86
They are a nice item. I don't have a case with a snap like yours. The case I have is just a slip case . This is an old pic that I took quickly to send someone a long time ago. I can do a better one if anyone is interested.

post-5-1241496793.jpg

Hello Sir,

Any guess at a fair market value for this item?

De Oppresso Liber,

Vince

Actually, they are technically an engineer item designed to help mark bridges or roads at night.

Some paras figured out they could wear them as a night recognition item, (although I wonder about having a big glowing dot on your helmet).

Since 99% of the world collects airborne items they have been assosiated with just AB use.

They are an interesting little item. I had the chance to buy one recently but turned it down when i found out how dangerous they are. Pretty nasty little things if something ever goes wrong. I'd rather not own one

Lucky 7th Armored

Could someone explain why they are dangerous, and why they are filled with poison?

Thanks, Haydn

craig_pickrall

I bought 3 of them for $35 total about 1997 or so. That is the best I can do on a price.

Could someone explain why they are dangerous, and why they are filled with poison?

Thanks, Haydn

I don't have one, but I will make a SWAG on it. They appear to be painted with a paint containing radium,a radioactive material. The radium paint will give off a glow that is able to be seen at night, similar to that of old watches and clocks that have a radium painted dial. A by-product of radium is radon which is a gas that can be inhaled and can result in lung cancer.

Of course the radium itself is a hazard, which will target bones. Here is a little more info from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium) on radium:

"Radium is highly radioactive and its decay product, radon gas, is also radioactive. Since radium is chemically similar to calcium, it has the potential to cause great harm by replacing it in bones. Inhalation, injection, ingestion or body exposure to radium can cause cancer and other disorders. Stored radium should be ventilated to prevent accumulation of radon.

Emitted energy from the decay of radium ionizes gases, affects photographic plates, causes sores on the skin, and produces many other detrimental effects."

If your WWII collection includes military issue watches, Coleman-type lanterns, compasses, there is a good chance that you will find some sort of radioactive material. Of course if you collect Fiesta ware dishes, cups and saucers, you may find it there also! :)

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks for that info BEAST, I now know I will not be purchasing one of these! LOL

Haydn

nice ones!

still looking for some myself,

they're radio-active!

better sell me one ;) before you get raided by them w00t.gif

I don't have one, but I will make a SWAG on it. They appear to be painted with a paint containing radium,a radioactive material. The radium paint will give off a glow that is able to be seen at night, similar to that of old watches and clocks that have a radium painted dial. A by-product of radium is radon which is a gas that can be inhaled and can result in lung cancer.

Of course the radium itself is a hazard, which will target bones. Here is a little more info from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium) on radium:

"Radium is highly radioactive and its decay product, radon gas, is also radioactive. Since radium is chemically similar to calcium, it has the potential to cause great harm by replacing it in bones. Inhalation, injection, ingestion or body exposure to radium can cause cancer and other disorders. Stored radium should be ventilated to prevent accumulation of radon.

Emitted energy from the decay of radium ionizes gases, affects photographic plates, causes sores on the skin, and produces many other detrimental effects."

If your WWII collection includes military issue watches, Coleman-type lanterns, compasses, there is a good chance that you will find some sort of radioactive material. Of course if you collect Fiesta ware dishes, cups and saucers, you may find it there also! :)

I think the Radium is in the powder, which is under the case, inside the piece.

Here's a couple of photographs of the lead-lined carrying box for the discs that Ken was speaking of in his earlier post. This item is from my collection:

luminous1.jpg

luminous2.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.