P1750 GERMAN-DUTCH BAYONET, HESSIAN

cpatrick

As many of you are aware, I began my years of collecting with Civil War, and colonial era militaria. This is an extremely rare P1750 German-Dutch socket bayonet, exactly the type of bayonet used by the Hessian forces at Trenton, New Jersey. Interestingly, this bayonet was found at a garage sale by myself near Fort Dix, and I have always wondered if this has any sort of affiliation with the famed Washington led attack at Trenton. Either way, there is little doubt as to its Hessian origin, and use, during the American Revolution.

I love the socket bayonets of the 18th century - especially the lack of a bridge on the socket, and the muzzle flare. There is not a spec of pitting, and there is even a little bare metal showing towards the end of the 12 inch blade. Spectacular!

Chris

post-548-1175993600.jpg

post-548-1175993617.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roy,

Thank you for the kind comment - much appreciated. This is a completely unmarked example - Unless I had overlooked a mark. Over the next week, I am going to be posting some of my early American bayonets, as well as a couple of Confederate socket bayonets. Keep your eyes peeled!

Chris