Medic & Corpsman Armbands

gunbarrel

New Romantic

Here's an early photo late 1890's to early 1900's currently on eBay. Not the greatest detail due to photo size in the auction.

post-599-1241993923.jpg

New Romantic,

Thanks for posting the pre-WWI image. It reminded me of this one that I have in my collection. This was one of the first images I bought and it help to get me hooked on collecting Span-Am era images.

post-203-1241996680.jpg

• 2 months later...
Here's some medics or a hospital unit down on the mexican border in 1916.

looking at the armband on the soldier on the right, the edges of the red cross go all the way to the bottom of the band. May answer someone's earlier question.

New Romantic

Here's another photo I found on the internet.

This is an unusual photo. The Krag carbine and cartridge belt are most likely the photographer's props.

post-599-1247694586.jpeg

Some 3rd ID medics and friends.

In "Citizen Soldier" is a photo of US wounded being loaded into a German Medical Halftrack at a US aid station. The caption says the track got stuck on the wrong side of the lines, so they decided to be useful. I wonder how long they were allowed to run around before being stopped or worse !!

This is a post WWI version of the same armband, but notice the number and the dated stamp. I do not have this armband in my collection; I believe that Kevin Molinaro (The Medic Guy on eBay) sent it to me. He was very helpful in past dealings I've had with him.

The photograph you have posted there, which was received from Kevin M isn't an original! These are reproductions of WW2 Geneva Convention Brassards that I offer for sale on my website:

http://www.med-dept.com/forSale.php

Thanks,

Ben.

New Romantic

Here's another photo I had saved to my computer. I almost couldn't find it last night.

I believe this is circa 1900, perhaps a few years later as the OD wool uniform wasn't authorized til 1902 and soldiers continued to wear the blue wool uniforms in colder climates. Also the canteens are carried on the haversack strap which was specified for both canteens and haversacks around 1899/1900.

post-599-1247760218.jpg

Here is one that it from the current war. Several of us had these made up on our airbase in SW Asia. However, I never saw anyone wear theirs. If anything, the standard medic armband was worn.

post-203-1247765054.jpg

Here's another photo I found on the internet.

This is an unusual photo. The Krag carbine and cartridge belt are most likely the photographer's props.

Frankie,

Very cool photo. If I had to guess, though, I would say that the Krag carbine and belt either belong to the medic trooper or he borrowed them from another soldier. Being that it is a current issue military firearm for that period, I wouldn't think a photographer in Manila would have one laying around to use for prop. Also, prop ammo belts are usually empty.

The photograph you have posted there, which was received from Kevin M isn't an original! These are reproductions of WW2 Geneva Convention Brassards that I offer for sale on my website:

http://www.med-dept.com/forSale.php

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you clearing that up. By the way, that's a very nice website you have there! I'll have to check it out in more details.

Here is one that it from the current war. Several of us had these made up on our airbase in SW Asia. However, I never saw anyone wear theirs. If anything, the standard medic armband was worn.

Beast,

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you clearing that up. By the way, that's a very nice website you have there! I'll have to check it out in more details.

No problem Gun, glad I could clear that up. Thanks for your kind words about our website, too!

Regards,

Ben