Any info? Official Representative Liberty Loan badge

Siamundo

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the badge section, but I picked up this pair of of Liberty Loan items recently and was wondering what someone might be able to twll me about the pin-back badge. The coin or token seems to be fairly common but I cannot seem to find anything related to badge. Any thoughts or opinions? Thank you for your time.

post-2744-1241312919.jpg

post-2744-1241312948.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Liberty Loan Distribution Committee issued that particular badge to volunteers who assisted in the sale of Liberty Loan Bond subscriptions. None of the people who were assigned to solicting subscriptions were allowed to accept cash or checks in payment for the subscription. That transaction had to take place at a designated bank, whose designated employees wore specialy designed red, white, and blue pins and were issued official ID cards. The sale of the First Liberty Loan Bond subscriptions, which started on 24 April 1917, attracted hundreds of scam artists who cashed in on the public's unfamiliarity with the official subscription procedure. On 22 May 1917, the New York Times ran a story headlined, "Warning to Public Against Payment of Subscriptions for Liberty Loan Bonds." The article described the official badges and informed the public that only those with an official badge was authorized to solicit subscriptions. At one point there were nearly 2,000,000 Liberty Loan volunteers, each equipped with a badge like the one you have. Detailed information on the five Liberty Loans is found in Lambert St. Clair, The Story of the Liberty Loans, James William Bryan Press: Washington DC, 1919.

I hope this helps you. drmessimer

• 5 weeks later...

I know this really does not help you at all or pertain to your post, but thought that you might enjoy seeing this letter that would have been sent to the recipient of your "German Cannon" medallion.

post-2063-1248801675.jpg