What equipment would a WWI era corpsman carry?

subsystem4

Here's a photo of an Army dentist and a Chaplain. The Chaplain is wearing a Red Cross Brassard

Why do you think he is a chaplain?

He looks old enough, but the hat and collar just doesn't seem right.

What think ye????

world war I nerd

That photo came from a post war set of postcard type Signal Corps photos and was captioned as a dentist and Chaplain.

I thought about enlarging it to check before I posted it but my sloth like ways prevented me from doing so. it could be that it was captioned incorrectly.

world war I nerd

Unfortunely the enlargment does not help, except it does look as if there is no collar insignia worn.

post-5143-1241502743.jpg

• 2 years later...
VolunteerArmoury
No: only the Navy had "corpsmen," even though the TV show MASH - about an Army unit - kept refererring to medics as corpsmen.

Here's a nice article and photo about the WWI corpsmen: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81778

Hope this doesn't come across as rude but I just happened to have read a few official Army publications from the late 19th century and early 20th century and they actually refer to Army medics as Corpsmen and to the Corpsman training at Ft McPherson, GA (which closes in a couple weeks). None of them refered to them as a medic. I wonder when "medic" came about.