WW2 USMC Camo's - Thoughts and advise!

Corpsmancollector

Flage,

I have my sites on a BAR as a relative was a BAR man in the Pacific with the Marines.(Posted his pic a while back).Im opting for the semi auto Ohio Ord model.Im sure it wont pass for the die hards but its all we can have in the tall corn state and Im sure that will change in the future. thumbdown.gif Im sure the semi auto will raise eyebrows to with all the fun haters.naughty.gif

RD

Kurt Barickman

The series will concentrate on the "Old Breed," the 1st Marine Division and will use the excellent books as sources of Eugene Sledge, Robert Leckie and will the story of MOH winner ''Manila Johbn" Basilone. You have to remember about speculation, there are far fewer members of the 101st Airborne during WWII and compare the several USMC divisions which number wise were much larger than a WWII airborne division TOE. The numbers are just not there. I say that being more a USMC collector than WWII airborne. Just a thought concerning value speculation.

Kurt Barickman

'Flage Guy

Kurt: Just the names of Sledge and Leckie, as well as the "Old Breed" format, is a good indication that there will be some very good coverage of the Guadalcanal and Pelelieu campaigns, not to mention the other actions that the 1st was involved in. Should be some good stuff.

Ron: Concerning the haters, looks like you might have punched "f" instead of "g", but it sure hits the nail on the head either way :lol: Like Bruce Canfield wrote, you have to wonder how many liquor stores have been held up with '03 Springfields and other such weapons that would add weight to what is claimed on the other side. I'll have to do a search on the shot of your relative- always great to see a photo with a real story behind it.

Greg Robinson
Flage,

I have my sites on a BAR as a relative was a BAR man in the Pacific with the Marines.(Posted his pic a while back).Im opting for the semi auto Ohio Ord model.Im sure it wont pass for the die hards but its all we can have in the tall corn state and Im sure that will change in the future. thumbdown.gif Im sure the semi auto will raise eyebrows to with all the fun haters.naughty.gif

RD

What I got to handle in the local gun shop years ago was an M1918A2 BAR in original military configuration. Then later I got to drool over a Thompson M1928...one of the pre ww2 COLT contract weapons. It was NICE!!!!!!!

I remember talking to a WW2 gyrene about forty years ago....he'd been a BAR gunner on Guadalcanal. He loved that weapon despite it's weight.

Ron: Concerning the haters, looks like you might have punched "f" instead of "g", but it sure hits the nail on the head either way :lol: Like Bruce Canfield wrote, you have to wonder how many liquor stores have been held up with '03 Springfields and other such weapons that would add weight to what is claimed on the other side. I'll have to do a search on the shot of your relative- always great to see a photo with a real story behind it.

I meant fun..you know the neo-paranoia phobs who hate to see us collectors have fun.But gun works too!!!!!

RD

'Flage Guy
I meant fun..you know the neo-paranoia phobs who hate to see us collectors have fun.But gun works too!!!!!

RD

:lol: I always think of a young Chuck Schumer-type kid, after a day at school tattling on his classmates to secure his own advantage, contemptuously watching the "ruffians" in their "crummy army jackets" swaggering home, laughing and looking forward to grabbing their BB guns/.22s for a lark in the field shooting milk jugs, or what have you. The "haters" have never grown out of this stage of life; you pegged them well! ;)

Greg: I've heard a good number of gripes about the M1 Carbine in warfare, but the heavier B.A.R.- whole different story! A U.S. 30.06 round in a hand-carried, long-barreled L.M.G....a tool of true destruction. Small wonder that B.A.R. men were specified among the primary targets by our enemies.

Corpsmancollector
The series will concentrate on the "Old Breed," the 1st Marine Division and will use the excellent books as sources of Eugene Sledge, Robert Leckie and will the story of MOH winner ''Manila Johbn" Basilone. You have to remember about speculation, there are far fewer members of the 101st Airborne during WWII and compare the several USMC divisions which number wise were much larger than a WWII airborne division TOE. The numbers are just not there. I say that being more a USMC collector than WWII airborne. Just a thought concerning value speculation.

Kurt Barickman

There the ones thumbsup.gif The Leckie books alone are fantastic and I have no doubt that the presentation of the series will be great. I agree with doyler, I thought prices would rocket after flags & letters, but it didn't seem to have the impact some of us in the collecting world had anticipated. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Greg and Flage, you guys are lucky you had the opportunity to pass those weapons up! crying.gif Unfortunately over here, old-spec de-act Thompson's etc. are the best we get. And then, you're looking at near enough 1000, pounds sterling!

gunbarrel
I bought that coat, along with the "Kline" trousers, at a Southern Militaire Show in Dallas in Feb. 1990 ($200.00 for the set sure seems cheap these days).

$200 in 1990 = $330 in 2008. Even taking that into consideration, that was a very good deal!

'Flage Guy
$200 in 1990 = $330 in 2008. Even taking that into consideration, that was a very good deal!

$330.00 for a non-repro 1st pattern Marine camo suit?? That's a steal by anyone's standards!

Corpsmancollector
$330.00 for a non-repro 1st pattern Marine camo suit?? That's a steal by anyone's standards!

Agreed!

'Flage Guy

Oops- I think I misconstrued Gunbarrel's post. I thought he was figuring what a '42 'flage suit would bring today, but it seems that he was, rather, calculating what 200 bucks in '90 would be equal to in '08. Duuuh...my bad :wacko:

Also, Will, I'm keeping a close eye on the suit you started this discussion with; I think it's a sure thing that the bids will start going wild in the last 36 hours of the auction ;) Always happens with something as scarce as this!

Corpsmancollector
Oops- I think I misconstrued Gunbarrel's post. I thought he was figuring what a '42 'flage suit would bring today, but it seems that he was, rather, calculating what 200 bucks in '90 would be equal to in '08. Duuuh...my bad :wacko:

Also, Will, I'm keeping a close eye on the suit you started this discussion with; I think it's a sure thing that the bids will start going wild in the last 36 hours of the auction ;) Always happens with something as scarce as this!

Me too 'Flage, lets wait and see what it brings! I'd love to own a set, as camp is something which my collection is missing to a certain extent, but I'm just not comfortable bidding on this one for some reason! Think I'll wait until I can have one in my hands first...If that ever happens...Lol

Corpsmancollector
$1,250.00...nice price...split it down the middle @ $625 for a p42...very nice. ;)

I didn't think it was too bad really, for a set. Someone's got a good deal by the looks of it :)

'Flage Guy

I knew it... w00t.gif I don't even have that much tied up in BOTH of my '42 sets, but that was, uuh, a while ago; this is a different era!! Joe and Corpsman, you guys are right- both the seller AND the buyer made great on that one. My congrats to both! ;)

Lucky 7th Armored
Greg and 'Flage, it sounds like you guys had the right idea! I'm super glad I've managed to compile all my corpsman bags. Its going to be scary how prices will rocket up over the next few years...I'm glad I'm not just starting out...

You guys are scaring me when you say "I'm glad I'm not just starting out..." :unsure:

I didnt just start out collecting WW2 stuff recently, only USMC stuff, Cause im starting a USMC display and i learned its already hard enough on ebay, over $100 for hbts and helmet covers.. but im getting there with the display, wish me luck :lol:

Haydn :rolleyes:

Corpsmancollector
You guys are scaring me when you say "I'm glad I'm not just starting out..." :unsure:

I didnt just start out collecting WW2 stuff recently, only USMC stuff, Cause im starting a USMC display and i learned its already hard enough on ebay, over $100 for hbts and helmet covers.. but im getting there with the display, wish me luck :lol:

Haydn :rolleyes:

Apologies for the scare Haydn. Sounds like you've made a good start already. Some times I find the prices on ebay intimidating, they just make me think 'how the hell am I going to get some of those items I really wanted...There's no chance'...But, ebay does that to you. I went to an event a few months back and scored a load of gear, which restored my 'faith'. Prices will go up and down, but the gear is there :)

Just keep hunting and stick at it. Again, apologies for the put-off!

All the best everyone,

Will

Lucky 7th Armored
Apologies for the scare Haydn. Sounds like you've made a good start already. Some times I find the prices on ebay intimidating, they just make me think 'how the hell am I going to get some of those items I really wanted...There's no chance'...But, ebay does that to you. I went to an event a few months back and scored a load of gear, which restored my 'faith'. Prices will go up and down, but the gear is there :)

Just keep hunting and stick at it. Again, apologies for the put-off!

All the best everyone,

Will

Ha, i feel a lot better, no need for apologies its all good ;) , and i will keep hunting and true the gear will always be there!, and when and if i get my display finished i cant wait to show it off to the forum.

Haydn B)

Corpsmancollector
Ha, i feel a lot better, no need for apologies its all good ;) , and i will keep hunting and true the gear will always be there!, and when and if i get my display finished i cant wait to show it off to the forum.

Haydn B)

Im sure we all look forward to it Haydn thumbsup.gif

Keep looking!

Will