m1 carbine 30rd pouch

scooter

Hey everybody, I am putting together a Korean War field gear display, and was wondering. How many carbine 30rd pouches were issued to the individual soldier, one or two?

Thanks..

Captainofthe7th

This is actually an interesting discussion that I have been looking into "in the closet."

I've looked at countless Korean War photos, and I've only found ONE where a soldier (a Marine, actually) was wearing the 30 rnd box pouch. Every other picture, GIs have two 30 rnd banana mags taped together in the gun and the rest of their magazines are for 15 rounds.

Given this new information, I would suggest supplying your display with at least three 15 round pouches (WWII or Korea style) and one on the stock of the carbine, if you have it. The stock pouch was done as much in Korea as WWII. If a soldier got his hands on the right style pouch, he used it that way.

If you choose to use the 30 round box pouch, I would use only one.

I hope this helps...remember this is only a compilation of my observations, but I'm 99% sure I have it nailed.

Rob

This appears to be one of the 30rd pouches.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/BE029429.jpg?...7-c97099059377}

Caption: 08/11/1950-South Korea: Marine teamwork. Two bazooka team members, one of whom is almost hidden, man their weapons under the protection of machine gunners covering the road leading to the front lines in South Korea. The Leathernecks are part of the 1st Marine Division.

If I am not mistaken the 30 round magazine and its pouch were intended for use with the M-2 Carbine and the 15 round magazine was for the M-1 Carbine. Although in practice you used what ever you could get you hands on. Dose any one have a 30 round pouch that the magazines actually fit into? The ones I have tried to put magazines in always seemed too small and while I did get them in it was a fight, is this normal or have I just gotten a hold of bad ones?

craig_pickrall

This is one pic I had handy. This is from the 187 RCT Unit History.

post-5-1241196070.jpg

post-5-1241196083.jpg

post-5-1241196097.jpg

subsystem4
If I am not mistaken the 30 round magazine and its pouch were intended for use with the M-2 Carbine and the 15 round magazine was for the M-1 Carbine. Although in practice you used what ever you could get you hands on. Dose any one have a 30 round pouch that the magazines actually fit into? The ones I have tried to put magazines in always seemed too small and while I did get them in it was a fight, is this normal or have I just gotten a hold of bad ones?

30s were intended for the m2, but most m1 carbines were updated with an improved magazine catch, during or after WWII, and take 30s no problem.

I have a jqmd 1950 pouch that holds 4 with out a struggle. Some of the 15 round mag pouches that were modified to hold a pair 30s are difficult to get mags into.

-Jason

• 2 weeks later...

This may help:

My father served as an NCO during the Korean War and carried an M-2 Carbine. He was issued one 30 round pouch. That's what was issued. What was actually used could differ vary from soldier to soldier, especially in combat. In combat, you would want to carry whatever was handy and plentiful and 30 round magazines and pouches were in short supply in theater when the war broke out in mid-1950. Look at the photos of soldiers with two 30 rounders taped together - they usually don't have a 30 round pouch on their belts. Most period photos I've seen support the fact that the 15 round magazine was frequently used not just for M-1's but for M-2's as well. Either pouch and or magazine would be correct for a korean War display.

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies, Its best that I only display one 30 round pouch. as this is all I have, been looking on Ebay and a 49 dated one went for over $100.00!!!!!