WWII Crash Sites in Europe

Curious Granddaughter

Curious Granddaughter

Hello there!

I've been doing some research on my grandfathers experience in WWII and I am very curious about something I saw posted in another forum...

I can't seem to find any pictures of the B-17G (#44-6180, MACR # 8622) that my grandfather was in when the plane was shot down in the Karwendal Mountains, Austria - near Mittenwald (September 12, 1944). I've been searching to see if his aircraft was ever recovered and I saw a posting from someone in southern Austria stating that he had recovered other US aircraft (I'm guessing, near his hometown). His website is www.mig21.ag.vu - the website isn't in English so I am not able to read what it says.

Has anyone else come across websites like this??? Or does anyone else know of people who search for these crash sites in Europe? I've searched sites and museums in Europe but I don't get very far because the websites are in other languages.

I read that it is a good idea to find a German Historian to help you with your research or to find eyewitnesses from that time - has anyone been successful at this?

Also, the aircraft did have a nickname, "Something Else" anyone happen to come across this aircraft in any Nose Art books??? nerv0003.gif I would love to have a photo of this plane.

Thanks for your help!!!!! ;)

You should try to contact forum member Prout Kraut,I'm certain he will help you to translate the Austrian site for you.Good luck with your search thumbsup.gif

Bare in mind we are 7 hours in front of you hehe

Henrik

Curious Granddaughter
You should try to contact forum member Prout Kraut,I'm certain he will help you to translate the Austrian site for you.Good luck with your search thumbsup.gif

Bare in mind we are 7 hours in front of you hehe

Henrik

Thank you, Henrik!!! I appreciate your help! :)

What was your grandfather's Group & Squadron. Many have associations and it's a great place to make inquiries.

Best......Bobgee

Curious Granddaughter
What was your grandfather's Group & Squadron. Many have associations and it's a great place to make inquiries.

Best......Bobgee

Thanks for the reply! He was in the 15th AF, 301st Bomb Group, 32nd Squadron. The 301st and the 32nd Squadron both have websites - my uncle tried to get some info but hasn't recieved anything yet.

It looks like a gentleman by the name of Eugene Townsend did some of the nose art for their planes - I will be writing a letter to him to see if he might possibly have a photo of the particular plane I am looking for.

Hi Curious G,

If you run the web site www.mig21.ag.vu through the google search engine you can click on the "translate this page" thingy and it will translate the web page to English for you.

Also, try these guys at this site http://www.armyairforces.com/ another group of great people willing to help.

Good luck,

CB

Curious Granddaughter
Hi Curious G,

If you run the web site www.mig21.ag.vu through the google search engine you can click on the "translate this page" thingy and it will translate the web page to English for you.

Also, try these guys at this site http://www.armyairforces.com/ another group of great people willing to help.

Good luck,

CB

Thanks, Charlie B! It took me a while to figure it out but I finally managed to get the page translated. Why haven't I heard of this before dunno.gif ????? lol. The wonders of technology! lol.

I've actually been all over the armyaircorps website too - thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it. I've been hanging around this website because there are so many amazing pictures and collections displayed.

Thanks again!