BEAST finds

BEAST

Picked up a few new items recently. The 82nd Jet Fighter Squadron plaque I have posted in a different thread, but thought I would show them together. Besides the plaque, I picked up a WWII EM overseas cap with Infantry piping (approximately a size 7 1/4) and an early Navy Corpsman's jumper with trousers. I hesitate to say that it is definetly WWI because it doesn't have an overseas chevron and I can't find his name (A.B. MULFORD) listed in any of my rosters. If any of you find any info on him, I would appreciate it if you would let me know! By the way, what is the proper term for the rating? Is it Pharmacist's Mate 2nd Class?

post-203-1175914630.jpg

post-203-1175914664.jpg

Picked up a few new items recently. The 82nd Jet Fighter Squadron plaque I have posted in a different thread, but thought I would show them together. Besides the plaque, I picked up a WWII EM overseas cap with Infantry piping (approximately a size 7 1/4) and an early Navy Corpsman's jumper with trousers. I hesitate to say that it is definetly WWI because it doesn't have an overseas chevron and I can't find his name (A.B. MULFORD) listed in any of my rosters. If any of you find any info on him, I would appreciate it if you would let me know! By the way, what is the proper term for the rating? Is it Pharmacist's Mate 2nd Class?

It could be early 20's . The buttons will be smoother and rounder than WWII buttons and the fabric a little rougher. Does it have a pull string around the waist?

Kurt

Also remember that:

A) Not all WWI uniform coats will have OS stripes

&

B) Tens of thousands of WWI records are incomplete due to the fire in I believe 1973....

Chris

Also remember that:

A) Not all WWI uniform coats will have OS stripes

&

B) Tens of thousands of WWI records are incomplete due to the fire in I believe 1973....

Chris

Only the Army records burned though, The USN records are intact.

Kurt

Yes, according to the NARA site, 80% of the Army records and 75% of the Air Force records were destroyed - spanning a combined period from 1912 - 1964. In light of this, ironically the Navy records are indeed still intact. It has been my experience, that, Navy records are a little more difficult to research.

Chris

Yes, according to the NARA site, 80% of the Army records and 75% of the Air Force records were destroyed - spanning a combined period from 1912 - 1964. In light of this, ironically the Navy records are indeed still intact. It has been my experience, that, Navy records are a little more difficult to research.

Chris

I have had good luck in the past requesting USN personnel files. I have heard that the files that pre-date WWII are in the process of being transferred to the National Archives . It may make them much easier to get once that is complete. I need to follow up.

Kurt

It could be early 20's . The buttons will be smoother and rounder than WWII buttons and the fabric a little rougher. Does it have a pull string around the waist?

Kurt

Kurt, It does have a long white, pullstring at the waist of the jumper.

Beast,

I would say it is WW1 or at the latest, just post war. Based on construction, the rate, and what I could see of the button on the sleeve.

The vast majority of Naval personnel did not serve overseas, and the Navy didn't muck about with the silver chevrons for stateside service like the Army did.

Try writing to the Naval Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard, they have a lot of information available.

Chris

post-203-1175914630.jpg

post-203-1175914664.jpg

Beast,

I would say it is WW1 or at the latest, just post war. Based on construction, the rate, and what I could see of the button on the sleeve.

The vast majority of Naval personnel did not serve overseas, and the Navy didn't muck about with the silver chevrons for stateside service like the Army did.

Try writing to the Naval Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard, they have a lot of information available.

Chris

That is true, you dont see many of the silver chevrons on Navy uniforms. I do have 1 USN jumper that has 2 silver chevrons on it and his service was stateside. You just dont see them very often.

Kurt

Kurt,

Thats pretty neat! I have never seen silver OSC on a Navy uniform. I've been looking at this stuff for 30 years, and yours is the is the first I've heard of.

Once, many years ago, I saw a set of enlisted whites that had white backed yellow silk OSC on it. I have never seen another.

That is the best thing about collecting WW1; all the crazy unique stuff that keeps turning up.

Chris

That is true, you dont see many of the silver chevrons on Navy uniforms. I do have 1 USN jumper that has 2 silver chevrons on it and his service was stateside. You just dont see them very often.

Kurt

Kurt,

Thats pretty neat! I have never seen silver OSC on a Navy uniform. I've been looking at this stuff for 30 years, and yours is the is the first I've heard of.

Once, many years ago, I saw a set of enlisted whites that had white backed yellow silk OSC on it. I have never seen another.

That is the best thing about collecting WW1; all the crazy unique stuff that keeps turning up.

Chris

Chris

Here is a link to a thread that I posted it in. I took some up close shots of the chevrons

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ost&p=23716

Kurt

• 4 months later...

I'd also say WWI or immediately post war. The rating badge has what is often referred to as "WWI cut" mounting style.

• 4 weeks later...

I found these today at a shop that carries mostly used furniture, but they also buy lots from estates. Enjoy! Let me know if you need more detailed photos.

post-203-1190250928.jpg

post-203-1190250965.jpg

Last but not least, an 1840 model Medical Service (aka surgeon's) sword.! The blade is not inscribed to the vet. It is maker marked and also marked with "MS".

post-203-1190252473.jpg

post-203-1190252527.jpg

Beast, Are in the southern part of the state?

Great pick ups by the way!

Thanks! I was pretty surprised to find them. The shop is located in central Indiana not far from Indy.

Cool stuff Beast, reminds me when I found some real uniforms for sale at a local costume shop, I had never thought to look in costume shops for a real uniform.

- Jeff

Very rare sword. I owned an example that had belonged to the Assistant Surgeon of the 117th New York Infantry. When I sold 90% of my Civil War stuff, the sword went with it. These are commonly selling for $2500-$3500, depending on condition, and who the maker was. (Of course, ID is important too) I would love to own one of these again. Not exactly a "combat" blade, but nice nonetheless.

What color is the scabbard? Is it just aged metal? These should be "metallic" in color, and not blued. (Like some M1850 Foot Officer and Staff & Field's)

I am thinking about getting back into CW - just don't ever sell your's, because you will likely never find another, especially at the price that you probably paid.

Chris