Safe Passage Silk flag

Legion

I have been offered this safe passage flag. Sorry this is the only pic i have. I was just wondering is this WWII vintage and good value to offer? thanks

post-3204-1241062587.jpg

Looks like one from the first Gulf War.Has Kurdish and Turkish as well as Arabic.The Desert Storm ones also have the sewn edge.

RD

That would make sense it threw me off because everything else he has to offer (mainly patches) is WWII vintage and i have little experience in these..thanks for the info

It's a blood chit all right, but i don't believe it to be real. They have been printed on tyvek since the gulf war as the one I carried in Iraq was a gulf war hold over. The numbers in the corner are meant to be cut off and the way the numbers are printed on this one, you would have to cut a part of the flag away.

I believe this one is an after market repro that you can buy off of the net.

For those of you who don't know, the numbers are designed to be used as a "reciept" for assistance. You give a piece of the bloodchit with the number on it to someone who helps you. That person then has proof of assisstance and can claim a reward. Current issue blood chits are therefore tracked by this serial number, and their loss can be a VERY big deal. They are now made with perferated lines that allow the numbers to be easily be torn off.

The way this example is made would make it almost impossible to take off the numbers with out ruining the whole thing.

Vance

Francis Marion

I have been issued these in Afghanistan for the purposes previously stated. It was printed on Tyvek paper with a unique serial number repeated in all four corners. I have seen silk or nylon copies sold by some in country vendors. With Turkish and Kurdish languages on it, I would be pretty certain it was a copy produced for or in Iraq.

316th FS 324th FG

This is a repro. It is identical to one given me by a naval aviator, right down to the pigtails at the corners. He bought his in theatre in Desert Storm, as he had been required to turn in his issue one as it was accountable property (as others have rightly noted).

Thanks guys for the great info i learned alot. The seller was selling it for $5 so i think he had an idea it was not issued and as stated i know very little about these items.

• 12 years later...
navalgunner

It’s a fake one from the Iraq war,  these were sold in the hadji shops for $10.  Real one were tyvek material and had red serial numbers in the corner. I was issued on as a MiTT .

I have one from Desert Storm and that is not it. The four numbers on the corners are in red and they are horizontal.

Blacksmith

LOL.  Holy necro-post!  🤠

I was wondering how I missed this topic, then realized it was from twelve years ago.

What was once old is now new again.

Can somebody post pics of a real one?

I have one like it. Was given to me by a good friend who was a officer in the Air Force. Flew in AWACS during the Desert Storm. I know he carried it in his flight suit. He told me after a mission he got back from was informed there was a family emergency. He basically had 20 minutes to grab a fe wthings and take off. He wore the same flightsuit he was in for the full trip home. Said this was in the sleeve pocket and said they were not to heep them at the time but in his rush to make a flight home he didi get it turned in. I will hae to ask him again if he recalls where he got it. If they were issued or purchased locally for the unit/use. THis said I have seen them called ones made for souvemiers but I know the one I have was carried.

This isn't a great shot, but this is a chit I was issued as an observer on a mission over Afghanistan in 2003.  It was printed on synthetic material similar to Tyvek -- it was almost identical to the material that some large mailing envelopes are made out of.  I really wanted to keep it but we were asked during our preflight briefing not to, so I did the right thing and returned it!  I did at least get a photo for posterity.  This was almost 20 years ago so my camera wasn't the best but you can at least get the general idea what a real one looks like.

IMG_0316.JPG.3591cef43a3c2ee6a5cb846a56ff5f28.JPG

24 minutes ago, VMI88 said:

This isn't a great shot, but this is a chit I was issued as an observer on a mission over Afghanistan in 2003.  It was printed on synthetic material similar to Tyvek -- it was almost identical to the material that some large mailing envelopes are made out of.  I really wanted to keep it but we were asked during our preflight briefing not to, so I did the right thing and returned it!  I did at least get a photo for posterity.  This was almost 20 years ago so my camera wasn't the best but you can at least get the general idea what a real one looks like.

IMG_0316.JPG.3591cef43a3c2ee6a5cb846a56ff5f28.JPG

Thank you for the pic - very helpful.

• 5 months later...
Runningman541

Looks similar, in style, to the 1st Gulf War (1990) chits issued to Long Range Surveillance Units. 

Mine had a 6 digit serial number in each corner and was printed on Tyvek

.402626_377920062225351_1818870105_n.jpg.6945e23a5b623f87285a517aa6dc3f86.jpg