USAAF "Air Warning Serivice" armband

NebrPatch

It is just me, or does it seem like there are a bunch of the USAAF AWS Observer armbands on the market all of the sudden? The bands are blue, with gold wings, & white circle containing characters "USAAF AWS , Air Warning Service". The word "Observer" is in gold below.

Does anyone know if armband repros have been dumped on the market?

Tom

It is just me, or does it seem like there are a bunch of the USAAF AWS Observer armbands on the market all of the sudden? The bands are blue, with gold wings, & white circle containing characters "USAAF AWS , Air Warning Service". The word "Observer" is in gold below.

Does anyone know if armband repros have been dumped on the market?

Tom

Oh lord no. Dude, there were tons of these dumped on the market years ago. I used to be able to get them for $1.50 each. Trust me, I'm sure they are original, but Ohhh sooo common.

-Ski

What kind of $$$$ are they selling for these days?

Tom

Ask E-Bay! I personally wouldn't spend more than $15 for one. Trust me, they are abundant!

-Ski

The really hard one to find says, "Chief Observer". The plain old Observer arm bands have been around in large numbers for years. I got one about 30 years ago for just a few bucks.

Personally, I think 10 bucks is pushing it a bit. I, too, got mine 'way back when' from Sunnys Surplus for 50 cents, IIRC. They had them by the stacks.....

• 1 month later...
I need one.

Mike,

Keep looking pal. They are not hard to find. There is usually one on e-bay every-now-and-then. Get REAL excited when you find a Chief Observer arm band tho. I had been collecting 15 to 20 years before I found one of those.

• 1 month later...

I just recently started collecting AWS material and found it interesting as I hadn't collected in the homefront field before.There is a fair assortment of pins and badges and paper material to be found.I did manage to pick up a lot on e-bay that was one persons with two chief observer armbands and some chief observer wings.The hardest item to find I have been looking for are issues of the monthly paper that was printed about the AWS goings on during the war.

Mike,

Keep looking pal. They are not hard to find. There is usually one on e-bay every-now-and-then. Get REAL excited when you find a Chief Observer arm band tho. I had been collecting 15 to 20 years before I found one of those.

I'll do just that! Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

About three weeks ago there was a quartmaster box of 20 that sold on ebay with the original box they came in. Closing cost was like 55 dollars and Im sure it was more forthe box then the bands thats why I bid on it.

I still get a kick out of those people who cut them out and claim them as one of a kind!

Respectfully,

PFC Kitt

• 7 months later...

I just saw one today in an antique store for $42.50. I did not buy it because it looked brand new which made me worry it was a fake. I wanted to research it first.

I love this forum because I searched on here and found this post. I am really glad now that I did not get it. Thanks for the info....Kat

I just saw one today in an antique store for $42.50. I did not buy it because it looked brand new which made me worry it was a fake. I wanted to research it first.

I love this forum because I searched on here and found this post. I am really glad now that I did not get it. Thanks for the info....Kat

Rest assured, it won't be a repro.

-Ski

Ski,

So these were not repro'd? This is authentic WWII? Since it is common though, $42.50 is way over-priced right? It was in such mint condition, that I thought it was modern. I was not sure of the value because I have never seen it before.

Thanks so much for your help, Kat

Rest assured, it won't be a repro.

-Ski

Ski,

So these were not repro'd? This is authentic WWII? Since it is common though, $42.50 is way over-priced right? It was in such mint condition, that I thought it was modern. I was not sure of the value because I have never seen it before.

Thanks so much for your help, Kat

There are 4 of these available on eBay right now for $4.95 Buy It Now price. Yes, the one you saw is way over priced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arm-Band-Air-Warning-S...=item3ef6405b6d

We had an earlier thread on these.... these used to be the unloved cousin of WWII militaria. You would find them in every surplus store in the country for the last 20 years. It may very well be the last reasonably priced WWII (also used postwar) item you can find.

Yes, the one you saw is way over priced.

Thanks a bunch for your help! This dealer had a few other items that were ridiculously over-priced. Even though I did not know anything about this armband, I figured it was over-priced as well.

Thanks again everyone! I love the search feature on this forum. It helps a bunch.....Kat

There are 4 of these available on eBay right now for $4.95 Buy It Now price. Yes, the one you saw is way over priced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arm-Band-Air-Warning-S...=item3ef6405b6d

We had an earlier thread on these.... these used to be the unloved cousin of WWII militaria. You would find them in every surplus store in the country for the last 20 years. It may very well be the last reasonably priced WWII (also used postwar) item you can find.

The armband is being sold by Jim McDuff.Cant go wrong with him or the price.

RD

The Chief Observer types are worth a little more...and the pins are worth something too. Otherwise, most folks could go broke buying a barnfull of them!

Tends to be that people who ask big $ for them don't know what they are...nor do they care about learning.

Dave

• 3 months later...