A.E.F. Identification, Part one

world war I nerd

Thanks for that info bobgee.

So does that mean that the 134th Co, scratched onto his tag, was his company number in the 2nd replacement Battalion?

Or would it have some other meaning?

You are correct. he was with the 134th (Repl) Co until May 11, 1918 when he was transferred to 66th Co. 5th Marines.

Semper Fi......Bob

A single ID Tag was worn by all soldiers until July 6, 1916, when the War Department directed that two ID Tags would be worn instead of one. In part the directive stated,

"When equipped for field duty two identification tags will be worn under the shirt, one tag to be suspended from a cord or thong around the neck, the second tag to be suspended from the first one by a short piece of string or tape."

Photo no. 11: Here another group of soldiers assigned to KP duty circa 1917, pose for an unknown photographer and are wearing a wide variety of military clothing including three vastly different undershirts and a pair of blue denim overalls. The soldier in back, wearing the cook's hat has a pair of ID Tags hung around his neck that appear to be comprised of two smaller size 1906 tags.

These are cooks of the 1st Pioneer Infantry.

Regards,

Stephan

Photo no. 33: This ID Tag has had the setting sun emblem of the 41st or “Sunset” Division carved onto the reverse side. (Courtesy of Bay State Militaria)

FWIW...I sold this tag and painted helmet to Bay State. They originated in a barn in Meigs County, Ohio.....along the Ohio river. This tag was 100% original, done by the vet.

world war I nerd

Thanks, for your input, Rattle and Maw,

Stephen,

How were you able to ID the cooks in photo no. 11 as being with the ist Pioneer Infantry?

And Maw,

Thanks, for letting us know the history of the tag shown in photo no. 33.

teufelhund
and Joined the Casual Detach Marine Barrack , Philadelphia Pa

Photo no. 47: At first glance the history of this Marine ID Tag seems confusing but upon closer inspection it reveals that it was originally stamped per the August 1917 regulations and contained the Marine’s name, rank and the initials “U.S.M.C.” on the front and the low serial number of 272,005, his date of enlistment and his unit designation, that of the 2nd Replacement Battalion on the reverse. Ultimately he was assigned to the 134th Company and he field modified the tag by scratching out his previous outfit and stamped his new (134th Company) outfit above the serial number. The second hole punched through at the top of the tag was most likely used to suspend the secondary tag. The numerals “66-5” crudely marked on the front of the tag remain a mystery. If any forum member can identify the meaning of the number 66-5 please make a post. (Courtesy of forum member teufelhund)

I forgot to mention you

Elmer Reed has been transfered from the 134th repl Battalion to the 66th Cy Marine which explains the numeral 66-5

He was wounded on June 6 at Belleau Wood and evacuated to Hospital

Transfered on June 20to the 2nd repl Bat USMC

Returned to USA on Feb 26, 1919 joined Casual detac Marine Barrack Philadelphia, Pa

T

• 6 years later...
BERLIN RED

Here are multiple sets of tags from the same soldier from the 41st 163rd. (I don't know the order of use) Couldn't get a good close up of them. Extensive personal grouping that lacks uniforms. Jared

post-17875-0-19550500-1436388071.jpg

post-17875-0-98711800-1436388084.jpg

world war I nerd

Hi Jared,

I'm surprised that anybody still looks at this old post!

From left to right it looks as if you've displayed your ID tags in chronological order: the early small sized tag, followed by the larger tags, which bear the soldier's regimental number and his company designation, followed by the late war tags that were sanitized of all unit information except for the initials USA.

That looks like a nice little group of personal possessions. What is the rectangular object with the star on it, directly underneath the camouflage helmet, and the item on the lower shelf under the flag with a red cross on its front?

Thanks for posting,

Brian

268th C.A.

In reference to looted items from the wounded & dead. A friend of mine a WW2 veteran told me in Italy he had a nice collection of German items he had collected, including a Lugar, an Illinois rail road pock watch he took off a German that had obviously taken it off a GI. when he has severely wounded at Anzio, they stole all his items, When he was shipped home, A package was there for him. He opened it to his surprise was the pocket watch, Thinking it was probably his Dads they sent it home. "Jessie Poor" God bless.

Another Veteran 97, Told me he was in quartermaster corps, unloading 55 gal. drums of gasoline, days after D-day. He was approached and asked if anyone would like to volunteer for graves registration, He did. He said it was better than heavy work he had been assigned. He told me they would collect all dead, Separate the enemy soldiers, Cut the pockets with a pocket knife, collect all the items, put them in a personal effects bag along with one dog tag. The other would be buried with the body until recovered for proper burial. They also buried the enemy soldiers as well in a separate area. I have the upmost respect for him. What a horrible job. thought I'd share the story. God bless our veterans one & All. You never know what someone's seen or been though until they tell you. if they ever share the stories.....David cac268th

Thanks for this wonderful thread! I learned something here....isn't the forum GREAT!

Hi there. Yeah I agree its a very informative thread. We are working on a living history organization in the NE Ohio area and I am applying this information for our tags. Not to get off topic of this old thread but here are some close pictures of the objects WW1 nerd spotted. I might start a thread for this grouping in the wwi section some time. Star tobacco, pepsin chewing gum and red cross soap. Thanks Jared

post-17875-0-02665500-1436748983.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello,  great article,  I have collected dozens of WW1 dog tags over the years,  is there a good website where I can find information about the soldier's service? thanks, john.