New re-enactor magazine up?

willysmb44

I just read about something new, WW2 re-enactor magazine. I haven’t seen one yet so I have no idea how good it is. I just wish they’d post a few sample pages from an issue so people could see what their magazine looks like. There have been a few attempts over the years to make a magazine devoted to living history of various timeframes. Most have failed quickly. Still, I think such a magazine would probably do better in England than in the US. I hope this one does well because I’d subscribe to a good quality publication devoted to non-Civil-War re-enacting. The only problem I can foresee with such a magazine is that wherever it’s published, such magazines often limit themselves to “their” side of the Atlantic.

Stuart Humphrey

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself as the publisher for World War II Re-enactors Magazine.

I lost my job at the start of this year and have been in publishing over 15 years; my wife suggested that I embark on a magazine true to my hobby.

What you see today is the start of our new magazine aimed exclusively at WW2 re-enactors, I have read your comments and please do not worry, we are planning to launch a marketing campaign Stateside and will in the first issue have a very special feature supplied 'from across the pond'.

We are keen to promote all re-enactors across the globe; however this will take another 6-8 months before you start seeing some real info on your groups and events.

If in the meantime you would like us to list your group, feel that you have some good material to show us, then we would happily look at an interview or group resume for the next issue.

I have been to the States on a few occasions on business with my previous magazines and can't wait to offer you more.

Hopefully hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
willysmb44
How can we make sure we get our first issues? ;)
I have been in touch with Stuart on continuing my “Rear Echelon” cartoons that some in the hobby in the US in the 1990s might recall as well as doing some articles on local events where I am. I hope that this will really get going strong. I have read “Skirmish” magazine a few times but the focus is far too broad to maintain my interest (and almost exclusively concentrated on the UK).

I just remembered a few years back, someone was trying to get a "1940s" themed magazine up and running, had writer and photographers on board all ready, he asked me to be his staff artist. I was pumped as he was just getting the financial backing. This was right about the time the "swing dancing" craze was starting. Sadly, it never came to pass. Another magazine took his idea and ran with it, "Atomic" magazine lasted only four years and folded.

• 1 month later...
willysmb44

I just got the first issue yesterday from across the Pond. Yes, it’s UK/EU centric at this time because that’s where the publisher is. I’ve e-mailed Stuart back and forth several times and I am confident that he’s genuinely interested in the re-enacting scene here in the colonies as well.

There was an article that women might find interesting, on a line of modern undergarments that are made to the 40s pattern (I can imagine most gals in the hobby would rather not wear used underwear) as well as at least one article written by a woman. For a first issue, it’s showing a broad spectrum of interest. I’d think the issue has at least one thing that you’d want to read. There was also an article on a cabaret performer. You wouldn’t want to be caught reading that article at the office, as photos are enclosed (not rated R but would cause some raised eyebrows).

They did print my cartoon. I wasn’t pleased with the gag itself (two WW2 vets at Normandy ask for directions from a group of “GIs” and find none of them actually speak English). And when I scanned it, I screwed up on the contrast (darned monitor settings). I bet it would be funnier for the continental folks. The next two I’ve submitted are much funnier and better drawn. I will also be covering an event for the magazine in a few weeks, and I’m really looking forward to using my War Correspondent impression and REALLY getting a story while doing so.

So if anyone has complaint that their segment of the world isn’t represented, then REPRESENT IT! A magazine like this is only as good as what they get. Also, it is a commercial venture, not a club’s newsletter. Keep that in mind.

• 3 months later...

I just got issue # 2 yesterday. It’s at least twice as thick as the previous one and filled with a lot of info. There are not a lot of ads, either.

There are articles on almost anything you could imagine. Even my wife (who normally hates such things) was caught thumbing through my copy.

Yes, I am on the staff of the magazine but I would still be a subscriber even if I wasn’t. It’s actually really well done and don’t let the fact that they let me write for them stop you from looking into it! :rolleyes:;):lol:

Corpsmancollector

Very, very good magazine. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Thanks for getting the topic started and alerting me to such a gem!

Will

• 1 month later...
Is there any place in California or? I can find this magazine, Looks well made.
No, they don’t currently have any US distribution, but I’m sure they’re working on that.

• 1 year later...

I'm happy to say I just saw a copy at a Barnes & Nobles bookstore this afternoon. I knew they were working on that but didn't know when. :thumbsup:

Yep good magazine, had a couple of articals in there, but it is hard sometimes to pick it up in our WH Smith, even for us, seems to be only stocked in the bigger stores.

Regards

Lee

• 2 months later...

I daresay that this magazine is getting better with each issue (heck, even my cartoons are now in color!). The latest one has some incredible photography in it and has nice general articles, so that anyone should find something of interest. :thumbsup:

I see it regularly now at Barnes & Noble stores here in the colonies. As the only current American staffer, I’d write more about events here in the US but I’m in an area very far away from the larger events in the Midwest and East coast. Sadly, nobody has written on any US events yet, other than my article in issue # 2 about an Oregon event. If I ever get back to Indiantown Gap again, I’ll be sure to write an article about it. But still, it’s a good spotlight for events in the UK and EU until more people in the US decide to contribute.

• 2 months later...
I daresay that this magazine is getting better with each issue (heck, even my cartoons are now in color!). The latest one has some incredible photography in it and has nice general articles, so that anyone should find something of interest. :thumbsup:

I see it regularly now at Barnes & Noble stores here in the colonies. As the only current American staffer, I’d write more about events here in the US but I’m in an area very far away from the larger events in the Midwest and East coast. Sadly, nobody has written on any US events yet, other than my article in issue # 2 about an Oregon event. If I ever get back to Indiantown Gap again, I’ll be sure to write an article about it. But still, it’s a good spotlight for events in the UK and EU until more people in the US decide to contribute.

Hmm, if they're looking for articles, maybe I can contribute some. We have quite a few that occur here in Southern California.

Hmm, if they're looking for articles, maybe I can contribute some. We have quite a few that occur here in Southern California.

I’d go for it if I were you. I’m geographically challenged here in the Pacific NW, because the events here are very small (by Northeast of Midwest standards) and I don’t get to events outside the region. I do almost exclusively “display” events now and don’t belong to any tactical re-enacting groups, nor am likely to do so. I’m surprised nobody has tried to submit articles about the larger events at places like FIG or Reading. If I was in that part of the country again, I’d certainly be writing about it. But then again, I don’t think many people in the hobby here in the US even know that this magazine exists. If you go to the larger re-enacting forums, you see nothing (or next to nothing) about the magazine at any of them.

$96 USD for 6 issues huh, wow...must really be some magazine @ $16 per issue.
Hmmm. :think: This is sadly more a case of a crummy dollar/pound exchange rate than anything else. As their cartoonist, I don’t pay for them but I also don’t get extra copies either as it’s pretty steep, like most specialty magazines in the UK.

You’re better off seeing if your local Barnes & Noble store carries it as the cover price isn’t too much. I regularly buy a lot of Brit magazines (‘Skirmish’ when I can find it and often ‘Military Machines International’ and ‘Classic Military Vehicle’) and none of them are cheap.

• 6 months later...

I guess the subject has come full circle now.

After about 2 years, the magazine has folded. There are plenty of posts on other forums as to why and I won't venture a guess, but it's over. :thumbdown: