Sound powered telephone?

Bigfoot

I found this in a bunker @ Fort Stevens park in Warrenton, Oregon. There was a tall series of shelves in one of the bunkers. I climbed to the top and this was sitting there. It has a brass push to talk button. I thought there was a thread here somewhere about these devices, but I couldn't find it. I suppose it could also be a regular period phone receiver. Anyone recognize this?

phpEHn0HRPM.jpg

php0qtcKbPM.jpg

Actually I showed it to a ranger along with some cartridges etc that I had found with my metal detector. He said 'neato' and showed me where the old dump was. I found lots of stuff there, including a very rusty jeep and some model A carcasses! I showed them the jeep and other stuff but didn't really seem to care. The phone was the only thing I kept. This was about 25 years ago. I guess conservation was not really on their minds back then. I never felt guilty about keeping it.

I don't doubt your story. If it were me, since it is ostensibly public land, I would contact them today and see if they want it back. I was a park ranger here in South Carolina and I can't imagine one of us doing what he did. It wasn't his to give away.

my two cents.

capa

30 years ago no one really gave a squat about coastal bunkers and other fortifications on the west coast.I used to crawl all over the one's that are on the coast around the San Francisco Bay entrance, was not much to find but I was looking, years of spray paint though crying.gif . Just a shame that no one care's out here about making it all known as it had some of the most heavily defended coastal area's in the state's! I will take a weekend and photo all the old haunts as I don't think anyone has. thumbsup.gif

I found this in a bunker @ Fort Stevens park in Warrenton, Oregon. There was a tall series of shelves in one of the bunkers. I climbed to the top and this was sitting there. It has a brass push to talk button. I thought there was a thread here somewhere about these devices, but I couldn't find it. I suppose it could also be a regular period phone receiver. Anyone recognize this?

phpEHn0HRPM.jpg

php0qtcKbPM.jpg

Yes, that is a hand set for a sound powered phone set.

Steve Hesson

Yes, that is a hand set for a sound powered phone set.

Steve Hesson

Thank you. So all one needs is another one to hook up and they will work? (It's missing the wire.)

30 years ago no one really gave a squat about coastal bunkers and other fortifications on the west coast.I used to crawl all over the one's that are on the coast around the San Francisco Bay entrance, was not much to find but I was looking, years of spray paint though crying.gif . Just a shame that no one care's out here about making it all known as it had some of the most heavily defended coastal area's in the state's! I will take a weekend and photo all the old haunts as I don't think anyone has. thumbsup.gif

In 1972, I was a guitarist in a band for laughs... we performed a whole concert in one of those bunkers overlooking the GG bridge. The acoustics were remarkable.

Anyone could just wander in in those days. I notice that they've blocked the entrances last time I was up there.

Salvage Sailor
Cool! Love to see old bunkers!

Bunkers? Oahu is covered with them

IMG_2397.jpg

In 1972, I was a guitarist in a band for laughs... we performed a whole concert in one of those bunkers overlooking the GG bridge. The acoustics were remarkable.

Anyone could just wander in in those days. I notice that they've blocked the entrances last time I was up there.

And I am sure they were picked clean by then :lol: . There are more then a couple of places where they could drive whole trains in to the hill's on the northern part of the Bay coast and a lot of big gun emplacements for 10" & 12" gun's along with a slew of hard point positions for smaller arty and pill box's all connected through underground passages. The southern Bay coast just had a few but they are still there and look like they belonged to the Atlantic Wall, just huge concrete bunker's and you can see them very easily on Hwy 1 as they are at the Devils Slide area. What hardly anyone knows is the old missile silo's from the 50's that are in the San Mateo Hill's. My brother took me to a couple of them back in the mid 70's that were above Pacifica but I have heard that they destroyed or leveled all the sites in the mid 80's. Mabey I will take a road/photo trip tomorrow as now my blood is worked up over re-finding them thumbsup.gif ..

Dont forget your camera!! thumbsup.gif

I did not forget! I will just post a couple of pic's here and make a new thread..

First is a 8" battery at Devil's Slide which is in between Half Moon Bay and San Francisco. It is south of San Francisco.

post-3273-1241062284.jpg

post-3273-1241062301.jpg

These are very cool shots. There are comporable ones here on Sullivan's Island just across the Cooper River from Charleston. I will try to post some photos soon.

capa

Nice pics kphun. I'm gonna start a new thread under misc. on some local bunkers. Well, when I get time, gotta resize all the pictures and stuff.

thanx

And I am sure they were picked clean by then :lol: . There are more then a couple of places where they could drive whole trains in to the hill's on the northern part of the Bay coast and a lot of big gun emplacements for 10" & 12" gun's along with a slew of hard point positions for smaller arty and pill box's all connected through underground passages. The southern Bay coast just had a few but they are still there and look like they belonged to the Atlantic Wall, just huge concrete bunker's and you can see them very easily on Hwy 1 as they are at the Devils Slide area. What hardly anyone knows is the old missile silo's from the 50's that are in the San Mateo Hill's. My brother took me to a couple of them back in the mid 70's that were above Pacifica but I have heard that they destroyed or leveled all the sites in the mid 80's. Mabey I will take a road/photo trip tomorrow as now my blood is worked up over re-finding them thumbsup.gif ..

I think there's still a couple of the AA variety at Fort Funston, too...

The big ones were, for sure, picked clean by '72... but, there were some mysterious stairways farther down into the mountain that were even then blocked off - I was REAL curious about what was down there, if anything.

We did our concert just inside one of the big casements... the photos of the 12 & 16" look extremely familiar, but I couldn't for sure say which one it was (not that it matters).

I remember thinking at the time how much it reminded me of being at West Point overlooking the Hudson... my Dad was stationed there in WWII.