1900- 1904 Army Leggings

New Romantic

New Romantic

I can't find any good photos of actual leggings used through 1904/1905. Period photos aren't too helpful because of the lack of detail. I did a topic on Spanish-American in 2007 but found no answers. Can some one please post photos of pre 1904 leggings?

Here are a pair of leggings made by Rosenwasser Bros which I believe are 1916-1917 vintage ( date is unreadable) but a few things about it puzzle me. First is the height which is 16 inches. The leggings are marked size 4, but I compared the leggings to others from 1916-1918 including a size 5 pair. Those are 3 inches shorter. Then there is also the unpainted/ unbronzed brass hardware. The Army started to use bronzed buttons and insignia in 1902.

post-599-1240873090.jpg

New Romantic

These leggings have the seam on the inner leg which can be seen on leggings from 1916-1917. Was the inner seam used on leggings prior to 1904? Leggings from the Spanish-American War does not have the inner seam.

post-599-1240873204.jpg

New Romantic

No help from the early uniform gurus?

I've done some searching on the internet and have found some photos of what are being claimed as pre 1904 leggings. I'll them in an hour.

New Romantic

In case if anyone is interested, here is the older topic I did on pre 1904 leggings-

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ic=5806&hl= Still looking for answers...

Here are additional images I've scoured from the internet. This photo shows repros made by http://www.ushist.com/wardrobe/indian_wars/boots-shoes_i.htm

The vendor ID's these as, from left to right-

1889, 1894, and 1895

When you look at the vendor's ID's they are inconsistent throughout the page!

post-599-1241042107.jpg

world war I nerd

Frankie,

Wish I could be of more help, but I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to leggings.

My first impression is that those are early WW I leggings. When I looked at the maker and date stamp, my first impression was that the date read 1-13-17. It looks like 17 to me but it could also be 07?

Sometimes by changing a color photo to black & white/grayscale and adjusting the brightness or contrast this makes the date stamps and other information more legible. I'll try this out and see what comes up.

(This might work on your early pistol belt as well)

The other leggings you posted that came from ebay, what did the seller's list them as?

I have noticed in photos that some troops seem to have slightly taller leggings and I wonder if this was a pre WW I spec. and once the Army started producing the large number of leggings needed for the growing army, they reduced the size by an inch or two to conserve material and save money. This could also be why the grommets and studs are not painted. They did this on just about every other piece of clothing.

world war I nerd

I checked out the stamp in black and white and I still think it reads 1-13-17.

Not sure how the image will look posted but here goes.

(BTW the early pistol belt stamp was acxtually harder to read in B & W)

post-5143-1241063292.jpg

world war I nerd

Frankie,

Here’s a photo and a close up that may help.

This guardsman posted to Brownsville, Texas in 1916 is wearing a pair of canvas “spat” type leggings much like the pair posted above. Note the seam along the inside.

post-5143-1241075897.jpg

post-5143-1241075945.jpg

world war I nerd

As usual, I forgot to mention that the light khaki color and the leather instep strap attached by two rivets also mirror the pair of leggings that you posted.

New Romantic

Thanks Brian, I had always thought my leggings were dated 1917 but never had thought of them dated as 1-13-17. Now I can see it since you mentioned it.

The Spanish-American leggings on eBay were id'd as the 1889 pattern for the leggings in post 8-9, and the 1897 pattern in post 10-14.

Thanks for posting the photo, yes the leggings look like the exact same pattern.

I can't find any good photos of actual leggings used through 1904/1905. Period photos aren't too helpful because of the lack of detail. I did a topic on Spanish-American in 2007 but found no answers. Can some one please post photos of pre 1904 leggings?

I have attached a photo of a pair of leggings I have, the contract date in them is "December 1900", the other pair shown with them are from the same person, I therefore imagine of the same period, the last photo shows another pair I found when locating the first two pairs.

post-693-1241110902.jpg

New Romantic

Thank you for posting your leggings Dragoon! So the leather inside reinforcing the grommets would be a distinguishing feature of these?

Anybody else have pre 1904 leggings to post?