Cleaning bullion

Mudge

Help me...help me...

I've just obtained a beautiful 6 button WWII WAVE uniform. It's in pristine condition except for the sleeve insignia. (Rank stripes and

NNC badge.) How do I clean them or should I just leave them alone. My wife is planning on wearing the uniform so I'd like it to look as sharp as possible. Do you think the tarnished bullion would detract from the overall effect or make it look more authentic. I've got pros and cons for each.

Thanks for the assist and opinions.

Mudge the grateful thumbsup.gif

Cobrahistorian

Mudge,

I don't recommend cleaning bullion, but if you do, an easy and non-chemically reactive method is to VERY lightly rub with a smoke-off sponge.

http://www.achooallergy.com/smoke-off-sponge.asp

That will get most of the surface dirt off and will bring out a nice shine on it. Rub it VERY gently and it will bring out a nice shine on the bullion.

Jon

This is from A US NAVY WEBSITE:

"- Embroidered Insignia. Embroidered insignia may be kept bright by occasional scrubbing with a nail brush and a diluted ammonia solution. Do this as soon as there are signs of tarnish or corrosion. If corrosion has been allowed to continue after it has gained a foothold, the device may not be restorable.

- Gold Lace. Gold bullion lace will tarnish rapidly and may deteriorate when in contact with or hung near any substance containing sulphur, such as rubber or ordinary manila or kraft wrapping paper. Gold bullion lace should be cleaned by an experienced tailor although liquid nontoxic preparations and certain liquid cleaners available commercially may be used if applied according to manufacturer's instruction. "

A pencil eraser can do a cleaning that lasts for a few hours but the rubber makes in tarnish quickly again.

Kurt Barickman
This is from A US NAVY WEBSITE:

"- Embroidered Insignia. Embroidered insignia may be kept bright by occasional scrubbing with a nail brush and a diluted ammonia solution. Do this as soon as there are signs of tarnish or corrosion. If corrosion has been allowed to continue after it has gained a foothold, the device may not be restorable.

- Gold Lace. Gold bullion lace will tarnish rapidly and may deteriorate when in contact with or hung near any substance containing sulphur, such as rubber or ordinary manila or kraft wrapping paper. Gold bullion lace should be cleaned by an experienced tailor although liquid nontoxic preparations and certain liquid cleaners available commercially may be used if applied according to manufacturer's instruction. "

A pencil eraser can do a cleaning that lasts for a few hours but the rubber makes in tarnish quickly again.

I wouldn't clean it either, the toning looks good IMHO.

Kurt Barickman

• 4 years later...
dakotanorth

Has anyone ever tried Brasso?

What about Mr Clean magic erasers?

I have some Captain's Bullion bars that are looking kinda grungy...

AAF_Collection

Not U.S. Militaria but still on topic. Some folks I know inherited a distant relatives stunning 19th Century British Army Royal Artillery Officers bullion on velvet sabretache,along with his sword and medals. The housekeeper they employed set to removing the tarnish from the bullion on the sabretache with liquid brasso,the result was near destruction of the bullion and white staining to the deep blue velvet backing.

She also completely polished the officers dress sword including the hilt(shagreen covering on the grip completely destroyed) and the acid etched blade,removing all etching.

Personally I like the appearance of aged bullion and wouldn't try cleaning it.

Matt.

• 1 month later...

Gold bullion stripes and embroidery are made of copper wire that has been electroplated with genuine gold. If the gold is worn and the copper wire exposed, the surface of the braid begins to tarnish. Anything that has sulphur in it such as Kraft or Manila wrapping paper placed near this will accelerate discolouring/corrosion. Nothing abrasive should be used to clean this kind of woven wire braid/bullion. The best method is washing with a mild soap with a nail or tooth brush, followed with a rinse of sudsing ammonia and then water rinse. I use this method to keep all of my period bullion cap devices in tip-top shape.

Captainofthe7th

Has anyone ever tried Brasso?

What about Mr Clean magic erasers?

I have some Captain's Bullion bars that are looking kinda grungy...

Brasso will leave a residue in any cracks and is not good for the cloth. Maybe if you took a long time with a q-tip and a magnifying glass being sure to immediately dry polish the bullion it would work. I would be comfortable doing such a tedious task myself, but I also see that sometimes I just don't need to polish anything and bullion is one of those things.

I think Mr. Clean Magic erasers have some bleach content or something similar. I wouldn't put one near a uniform or insignia.

Rob

ludwigh1980

Make sure it is stored/ displayed in the best environment possible and leave alone. Many uniforms have survived well until they met the collector, conservator with the best intentions. These items are old and have outlived their intended person or purpose. Less is better, like polish and Tiffany & Co Lamps.