Live Thompson SMG Found in Alabama Creek

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

This is pretty wild. The story at the link below indicates that the weapons had only been in the water a day or less and were completely functional. The law enforcement guys say they are looking for a Museum to accept the weapons. Any takers around here?? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Charlie Flick

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/stories/i....xml&coll=2

post-68-1240795732.jpg
Japanese type 100 thats a rarity

As well Japanese copies of the MG15 and Vickers Aircraft gun, a Type 99 LMG and most of a Beretta M1938

it's interesting that the ATF is trying to find a museum to take them so they wont be destroyed because about a year ago there was an article in the army times about a german machine gun found in a library attic that was brought home by an officer after ww1 who picked it out of a pile of others from alvin yorks MOH action and the ATF said that it had to be destroyed because it wasn't registered. I don't know what eventually happened to it.

Looks like the infamous and poorly named Japanese "knee mortar" standing at the far end of the table.

Because of the rounded base, Americans who found them thought you were to place them on your knee to fire them. This resulted in several broken legs and an urgent command bulletin to leave them alone when found.

In the water for less than 24 hours according to them!

Cobrahistorian

I've got the museum. Who do I call?! ATF? B'ham police?

Honestly, without provenance, they don't really fit in my museum's collection, but they'd definitely be cool to have in the collection. Of course, I'd have completely redo the exhibits... AGAIN.

Jon

As mentioned above, I'm amazed they are trying to place them in a museum rather than destroying them. The only thing I ever found in a creek was a real nice old pipe wrench, a little wire brush and some oil fixed it right up. Still use it.

Holy Jeez'

A Type 100 and 99, plus an aircraft flex MG and a 50mm mortor! I cringe to think what they would be worth and the Mortar is the cheap one by a looooooong shot! Looks like a 1928A2, no doubt about the M1919 other then it's A designation. I don't think that is a Piat, looks like another aircraft flex MG, mabey larger Japanese as there seems to be a lot of it. What there is of the M38 is worth less then $100.00

Bridge areas are notorious for stuff. One of my EOD friends told me whenever a bridge was being worked on he generally got a call to some out as they normally find all sorts of stuff- mainly pistols and grenades, tossed over the side.

The "Sgt. York" MG is up my way, and while it remains to be seen if the story is true or not (no actual research, just more of a oral tradition), they don't want to give it to a museum as someone told them it was worth big money- so they are trying to get someone to make a big donation to the library before the police agree to transfer it.

cmjordan77

Hey

Fishing for Machineguns

A small cache of Japanese, Italian and German World War II-era weapons found dumped in a Bibb County creek is baffling to even the most veteran lawmen.

The firepower, discovered by a state road crew conducting a bridge inspection just north of Centreville late last week, is illegal to own, still in working condition and probably worth in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, said David Hyche, resident agent in charge at the Birmingham office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/sto...400.xml&coll=2

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS???????

I wasnt sure where to post this, but I wanted folks to see this.

Who or why would someone do this?

The police said the guns were there LESS than 24 hrs

post-2002-1241232036.jpg

cmjordan77

Missed seeing it, sorry for the repost.

But JEEZ, WTH????

I wonder what 2 guns they are withholding for the investigation? A 50CAL? BAR?

Brian Keith

My guess: owner passed away, cleaning up the estate, someone found the guns, got scared and dumped them.

BKW

Who or why would someone do this?

The police said the guns were there LESS than 24 hrs

None of the firearms were on the NFA registry. Who ever found them was too scared to call ATF to surrender them properly.

FriscoHare

They should put those in a museum or something. You don't find great pieces of history in a river everyday...

~Rabbit

I saw the first thread on this find.

I often wonder about the mentality of the reporters as well as the people who have taken control of these "Dangerous"weapons.I wonder where they have found all the 8mm Nambu ammo to test fire the Type 100 and the ammo for the Type 99? Granted .30 cal and .45 auto are avaiable but the little bangers are to lazy these days to carry something that heavy in my opinion.Guess I really dont see a Type 99 being used in a drive by or a convieniance store robbery.Absurd paranioa.More gun hater propaganda.

Sure wish we could get another ammnesty act involked.Sure would save a lot of historical weapons.

RD

Corpsmancollector

This is unbelievable!

Those Japanese weapons are NICE! Would love to know the story behind it.

Imagine hauling one of those things out with a rod! Beats fish anyday...LOL

FightenIrish35
This is unbelievable!

Those Japanese weapons are NICE! Would love to know the story behind it.

Imagine hauling one of those things out with a rod! Beats fish anyday...LOL

The word i japanese ;)

but yes I saw this article elsewhere...such a shame tjis happens.

shrapneldude

Kind of irks me reading the article..."Imagine if this kind of firepower got into the wrong hands." As if there aren't enough illegally imported, unregistered cheap SMGs and such floating around in the gang circles. Are there any statistics anywhere on how many Tommy guns or MG-42s out there have been used in violent crimes in the past 50 years? Someone found these in an attic or something and got spooked because they weren't registered and dumped them in the river. If they had a Class III Amnesty registration period, it'd cut down on crap like this happening, and probably put a lot of these "dangerous guns" in the hands of responsible, law-abiding collectors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.