Sign in to follow this  
Greg Robinson

Marine Officer's Garment Bag

This belonged to the same "North China" Marine officer who owned the pre WW2 map case I posted on this forum earlier. G R NEWTON is stencilled on the outside and there was a cardboard tag attached identifying it as belonging to a Lt Col George R Newton with his service number and duty station....MARINE BARRACKS / GUAM / M.I. (Mariana Islands). There's also an old American Airlines baggage tag. This Marine retired, I believe, in the 1960's. Like all the 200+ "North China" Marines he spent all of WW2 as a Japanese POW.

This garment bag ( don't have a clue what the official nomenclature is) is the mustard tan color and has the WW1 vintage cast bronze hardware consistent with pre WW2 Phila. Supply Depot made items. I showed it to Craig Pickrall when I first got it and he has one in a green color shade and marked with WW2 date. This one is completely unmarked and looks earlier than that.

post-4-1175808977.jpg

post-4-1175809021.jpg

post-4-1175809064.jpg

post-4-1175809107.jpg

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

Did you look inside the pockets? I have one of these and thought it was unmarked when I got it but later found USMC, the maker, and date stamped very lightly inside a pocket flap.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

on the units flaps did they have pockets to hold boots and shoes and other items inside the flaps ..

and on the bottom of the unit there is a large pocket with two rows of pockets right..

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.