The Soochow Creek Medal - 1932 & 1937

bobgee

“so I’m wondering if it might have been a friendly exchange amongst brothers in arms? Alternatively, would they have been freely available at the shop in Shanghai where they were made or were they made exclusively for the US Marines?”

Brig is as good as any here at spotting good Soochows, so if he likes it that’s a big plus.  As you pointed out the Royal Welch Fusiliers were in Shanghai for the 37-38 fighting. They would have been deployed west of the Marines position, just past the soochow creek (Jessefield Park area). The Fusiliers has a long and storied relationship with the Marines, going back to the Boxer Rebellion days, when they both mutually  supported each other during the assault on Tientsin. That tradition continued in Shanghai during the 37 fighting. This mutual respect would have extended to the city’s bars, dancehalls,  and nightclubs behind the front lines. Friendships were formed, drinks and gifts exchanged. So it’s not surprising  a Fusilier got a Soochow. The medal was most likely marketed exclusively to Marines and could be ordered by any Marine through their Company’s HQ section. Or by US Navy personnel serving around Shanghai. I am sure among US forces this medal maker’s  shop was well known.  There was no rule on how many one could order at a time, or who qualified (even extending to family members), so it’s possible your friends fathers uncle asked for, paid for, or was given the medal by a Marine during his time in Shanghai. As for the actual maker, no one knows for sure….although their are several candidate jewelry shops identified. 

You guys are killing me. I've owned 3 or 4 over the years and sold or traded them all. The last one out of necessity. It's on my list to pick one or two up again

Hey @Dirk thanks for all that information. I was aware that there were some close links with the USMC and the Royal Welch with you guys presenting to us a set of your colours in a commemoration in Wrexham in North Wales. Sadly, the regiment was amalgamated with the Royal Regiment of Wales to form the Royal Welsh Regiment, but we still have a Regimental Museum at Caernarfon in North Wales so I’ll approach them this week and do a bit more digging into H. E. Williams. It’s always interesting to look into the service records of old soldiers that are no longer with us, especially at this time of year. 
Thanks again,

Mark.