1902 Army Officer Swords

SARGE

I have also a saber that looks like a 1902, but it is a modern 1902 presentation saber that was given by the SGM ASSN Heidelberg to someone, sometime.

officerssword1902wx7.jpg

Spathologist
I have also a saber that looks like a 1902, but it is a modern 1902 presentation saber that was given by the SGM ASSN Heidelberg to someone, sometime.

It looks to *be* a regulation 1902. The Spanish swords date from the 1960s, I think, to today.

• 1 year later...

John,

That is a very nice named Horstmann sword. thumbsup.gif

You know, these swords are just like potato chips... you can't eat just one.

Well, I only own two of these swords, but perhaps I can add to the discussion.

First up is an earlier Horstmann with a full dress saber knot. It looks like the guard has a slight bend to it and there is one little ding in the scabbard near the tip -- probably had it closed in a door! What is neat though is that it is attributed!

The name J. M. Wright is etched on the blade. John Marvin Wright was a 1909 USMA grad -- an engineer and 4th in his class! Wright was involved with military railroads during WW1 in France as a full colonel, and later joined Baldwin Locomotive Company after the war -- he worked for Fridgidaire later on.

Enjoy!

G

IMG_0423__Small_.JPG

IMG_0421__Small_.JPG

And here's a somewhat newer one -- stainless, made in Spain and sold by Colonial. It was presented to MG Edward Fry, Kansas AG on his retirement in 1980. His name is engraved on the blade and the presentation info is on the scabbard. Interestingly, Fry was a WW2 AAF pilot -- needless to say he probably never wore this one. (I wonder if there was a saber rack in the cockpit of his P-51.)

Enjoy!

G

IMG_0425__Small_.JPG

IMG_0427__Small_.JPG

Gil nice swords! hey how did you find out the information on who the name etched was on your sword? i am trying to find out info on the name etched on mine. and cant seem to locate a site that would have this info. thanks john

Well, with Fry, I simply Googled the name "General Edward Fry". With the Wright, I can't recall how I knew to look there, but I found him in the Register of West Point graduates. SInce officers were commissioned from many different sources, I would say I got lucky.

I would first of all find out where it came from to narrow the search. I suspect many NG officers had engraved/etched swords, so location would sure help.

Good luck.

G

John,

Gill is quite right that identifying the owner of named swords is hit and miss at best. Of course General Officer swords are more easy to decipher since these officers have more time in service and are more likely to show up on google or other internet search engines.

Here is a M1902 variation that is a presentation grade sword from Capt. Joseph Stringham. I know he served in the Ordnance Corps and graduated from Military School in 1895 from the sword itself but I can't find any other information on him.

Stringham_hilt_1.JPG

Here is view of the presentation etched blade.

Stringham_blade.JPG

Sometimes these soldiers elude us when doing research.

Another view of the hilt showing the elaborately embossed backstrap and the interior of the guard.

Stringham_backstrap_1.JPG

This sword is a more highly embellished version of the regulation 1902 Officer Sword. Some had gilt hilts and some had very plain hilts. I have found you can't really judge a book by its cover. Some seemingly very plain-Jane swords have beautiful presentation blades and some with elaborate presentation grade fittings are not named or have identified owners.

Finally, a view of the highly hand worked drag on the scabbard. The scabbard bands are also stippled and worked with floral displays but they are less obvious than the drag.

Stringham_drag_engraving.JPG

• 1 year later...

I picked up this one today: it says Germany, but that's it, no maker mark or clues to age. The the guard is non-magnetic and the grip appears to be synthetic. I assume this the the Generic German M1902....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg