M29 Weasel , 1941 dated

kphfun

Did the Marines use many of these?

I want to say that I recall reading they used these as early as the Canal to haul ammo and such.

Brian Keith

I love Indiana made militaria, but, it's a little far from me.

Thanks for the heads up on it! Hope it finds a good home.

BKW

I would think the Marines were issued the amphibious version, which this one is not. Especially when you have to land on beaches, ford rivers & streams, etc. I know the 1st FSSF were trained on these. Theirs did not need to be amphibious, just crawl over snow.

I rode in one back in '79 at a WW2 re-enactment. What a hoot!

101combatvet

They were actually developed for the FSSF.

I would think the Marines were issued the amphibious version, which this one is not. Especially when you have to land on beaches, ford rivers & streams, etc. I know the 1st FSSF were trained on these. Theirs did not need to be amphibious, just crawl over snow.

I thought they were all amphibious and that in the water they were powered by their tracks. Didn't they have some kind of funky track?

Looks like the G-179 M29 Weasel

not the Earlier G-154 M28 Weasel which was developed in 1942 and dropped in 1943 for the M29

The M29C was the Amphibious version.

I thought they were all amphibious and that in the water they were powered by their tracks. Didn't they have some kind of funky track?

As stated, only the M29C was amphibious, having flotation compartments on the front & back of the vehicle making it a bit longer, propelled through the water using its tracks & had a pair of rudders on the rear floatation compartment steered by a tiller attached to the driver's bulkhead. If I recall, they did a whopping 4 m.p.h. on water & 35 m.p.h. on land.

• 2 weeks later...
Tom @ Snake River

For more info, go to www.M29Cweasel.com

T-15-7.jpg

WYSWeasel.jpg

My T-15 # 99 under restoration. My M29C at West Yellowstone show.

Tom @ Snake River 4x4

post-4931-1241585079.jpg