OIF Special Forces DCU Uniform

Andrei

This SF DCU is currently offered on eBay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320362716431

The officer BOS is SF but there is no SPECIAL FORCES qualification tab on the left shoulder above the SSI.

Is this possible ?

post-467-1240610406.jpg

post-467-1240610431.jpg

An officer shouldn't be SF qualified to wear the crossed arrows ?

It seems fishy to me. Plus the fact that there's a master parachute badge, but no Airborne qualification tab, There's a Ranger tab, but no Airborne.

CNY Militaria

The airborne tab is not a qualification...it goes with the assigned unit regardless of whether the individual attended airborne school.

It seems fishy to me. Plus the fact that there's a master parachute badge, but no Airborne qualification tab, There's a Ranger tab, but no Airborne.

Does anyone know what the rules are for enlisted 18Xs? I think they get the SF BOS but, naturally do not get a tab until WAY down the road when they finish their individual MOS (18B, 18D, etc...).

I can't keep track of this junk anymore.

Besides it is an O-5 in the zone, he can probably play a little loose with uniform regs, you think?

Besides once you have so many arc, tabs, flags, wings and patches; you start to look like an X-Mas tree. And to think that is the excuse why they took the foreign jump badges off BDUs pinch.gif

T-Bone

CNY Militaria

Also keep in mind soldiers can wear all of their qualifications, badges, and patches, or none at all if they wish. I have seen this first hand numerous times--its up to the wearer.

I agree with Schottzie, this one is just odd enough to be right. I'd be willing to bet that the guy figured the SF tab would be redundant considering his branch of service emblem. Although some collectors never like believe it, its really not that unheard of for people to not wear all their tabs and "chest cheese".

Vance

I have been watching this uniform on EBAY too

According to Bob Ziccardi, the BOC, Master jumpwings were local-made at a shop near MacDill AFB, in Florida. I have this make of badges on several uniforms from that base, CENTCOM, SOCCENT.

It is unusual an officer wouldn't wear his "Special Forces" tab, if he was qualified.

Francis Marion

You must be either an 18A or 180A (warrant) to branch SF.

The SF Tab is only awarded with completion of the SF Qualification Course.

The Airborne Tab is NOT a qualification identifier but rather an integral part of the unit patch.

It is possible that he would not wear the SF tab when he is authorized it but then, why the Ranger and Master Parachutist?

This uniform is also PRE OIF. The large "Elvis collar" was issued in the early years when they first transitioned from the "Chocolate Chip" uniforms immediately after ODS. It is possible that it was a holdover from earlier but just adds one more possible but not probable detail. It's also in rather pristine condition. I would want to verify LTC Hentscel's service record before even considering it.

101combatvet

In fact these uniforms were issued in OIF. The SF tab would normally be there with SF branch insignia. Don't get me wrong.... the uniform could still have been used.... they might have been just out of the tabs.

Darktrooper
You must be either an 18A or 180A (warrant) to branch SF.

The SF Tab is only awarded with completion of the SF Qualification Course.

The Airborne Tab is NOT a qualification identifier but rather an integral part of the unit patch.

It is possible that he would not wear the SF tab when he is authorized it but then, why the Ranger and Master Parachutist?

This uniform is also PRE OIF. The large "Elvis collar" was issued in the early years when they first transitioned from the "Chocolate Chip" uniforms immediately after ODS. It is possible that it was a holdover from earlier but just adds one more possible but not probable detail. It's also in rather pristine condition. I would want to verify LTC Hentscel's service record before even considering it.

I was issued a couple Elvis collared dcu's in '05 when i went to afghanistan

VolunteerArmoury
Does anyone know what the rules are for enlisted 18Xs? I think they get the SF BOS but, naturally do not get a tab until WAY down the road when they finish their individual MOS (18B, 18D, etc...).

I can't keep track of this junk anymore.

Besides it is an O-5 in the zone, he can probably play a little loose with uniform regs, you think?

Besides once you have so many arc, tabs, flags, wings and patches; you start to look like an X-Mas tree. And to think that is the excuse why they took the foreign jump badges off BDUs pinch.gif

T-Bone

You mentioned the foreign Jump Wings on BDUs. I've seen them on the BDUs even just a few years ago (though I know IAW AR670-1 they were unauth at that time). Were they actually authorized on BDUs according to earlier AR670-1s or just worn?

Thanks to all for your inputs. Sold for $27 which is a fair price if it was a legit SF officer's uniform.

A.

Just imagine what it will sell for 45 years from now...

• 3 months later...
ABNRANGER1-75
This SF DCU is currently offered on eBay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320362716431

The officer BOS is SF but there is no SPECIAL FORCES qualification tab on the left shoulder above the SSI.

Is this possible ?

post-467-1240610406.jpg

post-467-1240610431.jpg

An officer shouldn't be SF qualified to wear the crossed arrows ?

This was a very nice shirt...hate I lost the bidding. I agree that the guy just did not put a lot on his uniform. Simple and easy (cheap too!)...

strange that you mentioned the collar size difference.....I just checked my DCUs.....the 90 choc chip has the wide collars, the 97 (or 95?)named 101st ABN DCU is wide collar, the 99 dated named 1st Div DCU has the small collars, all the Woodland BDUs, and the RDF, and OG107s have the smaller collar, the Woodlands, 1987 and 1990, the RDF is 78, the OGF107 is 70...when did the change over from wide collar 3 color DCU to the narrow collar DCU happen?

also, there doesnt seem to be a CIB patch on this one....only the 101st DCU has a CIB, the woodlands (mr. Barber) both have CIBs...interesting.

I have three "Elvis collar" DCUs from OIF; two are dated 99 and one is dated 97. One I know for certain is real, as it's out of the woodwork.

If that's the seller I think it is, I've always been suspicious of some of that stuff.

I have been watching this uniform on EBAY too

According to Bob Ziccardi, the BOC, Master jumpwings were local-made at a shop near MacDill AFB, in Florida. I have this make of badges on several uniforms from that base, CENTCOM, SOCCENT.

It is unusual an officer wouldn't wear his "Special Forces" tab, if he was qualified.

I became 3 qualified in 1965 and at that time there was no Special Forces Tab. When it came into existance we were not allowed to wear a SF Tab and a Ranger tab together. One or the other, our choice. I suspect the rules have changed since I retired some 21 years ago. I am not familiar with the SSI on the uniform but if it is not an airborne unit then no airborne tab would be worn even if he is a master jumper. Would be interested in an update on the current rules as to the wear of both the SF Tab and Ranger Tab together.

Terry

ABNRANGER1-75
This was a very nice shirt...hate I lost the bidding. I agree that the guy just did not put a lot on his uniform. Simple and easy (cheap too!)...

It appears that the SSI on the left arm is an in-country made Centcom patch.

Oddly enough I have seen 3rd Special Forces guys wearing Airborne, Ranger, Sapper, and Special Forces tabs at the same time. If I read the AR correctly and remember that we were only allowed to wear 3 (airborne over SSI, Ranger, Special Forces); unless you substituted the SAPPER or PRESIDENT'S HUNDRED tab.