Another Dauntless recovered from Lake Michigan!

Teamski

Great story!

I have read other bits and pieces about these Lake Michigan aircraft over the years. The Navy actually went to court to get back one aircraft some guy salvaged from the lake bottom.

Apparently the Navy has been of the position that all the aircraft there are theirs and theirs alone, which I have no beef with as that is actually the case, but they seem to want to let what is left on the lake bottom rot away and get destroyed basically, rather than let private salvagers and aircraft restorers bring them up and sell them or restore them or whatever.

It's struck me as a child like "if I cannot have it you can't either" type of argument. Only 35 raised in almost 20 years? That is sadly pathetic considering that conservative estimates (as in the linked story) put the total number at about 130.

I want to say there are even combat veteran TDB Devestators on the lake bottom if memory serves me right... That's a super rare one! Sad how the USN has handled it...

MW

Cobrahistorian
Great story!

I have read other bits and pieces about these Lake Michigan aircraft over the years. The Navy actually went to court to get back one aircraft some guy salvaged from the lake bottom.

Apparently the Navy has been of the position that all the aircraft there are theirs and theirs alone, which I have no beef with as that is actually the case, but they seem to want to let what is left on the lake bottom rot away and get destroyed basically, rather than let private salvagers and aircraft restorers bring them up and sell them or restore them or whatever.

It's struck me as a child like "if I cannot have it you can't either" type of argument. Only 35 raised in almost 20 years? That is sadly pathetic considering that conservative estimates (as in the linked story) put the total number at about 130.

I want to say there are even combat veteran TDB Devestators on the lake bottom if memory serves me right... That's a super rare one! Sad how the USN has handled it...

MW

Yeah, there have been several lawsuits against the Navy. In actuality, they are violating international salvage law by claiming any ownership over wrecked aircraft. A basically intact TBD in shallow water that was imminently retrievable was left to rot instead of being salvaged because of the Navy's attitude. I think they've finally come around, but haven't confirmed that yet.

This story gets even better if you read the links. The same salvage company is trying to get the rights to a German WWI mine laying U-Boat that was brought to Lake Michigan as a war prize and then later sunk as a target.

One of their obstacles is finding a place that will accept it and take on the the challenge of restoring it.

I wish I had a hobby like that!

I would think that since these planes were found in deep fresh water, that the corrosion on these would be very negligible thus making them perfect candidates for restoration.

Since I'm not up on Aviation values, what is something like this plane worth once it's restored? I see that they spent over a decade getting the permits and $250.000.00 just to raise it from the bottom of Lake Michigan. I would guess that a restoration on something like this would easily approach another half million to a million dollars. Whatever the case, it's great to see these things being brought back from the grave!

I don't think you can put a price tag on history. Also remember the collectors motto of "One Mans Trash Is Anothers Treasure" If I could afford a WW2 warbird I'd own one.

I would think that since these planes were found in deep fresh water, that the corrosion on these would be very negligible thus making them perfect candidates for restoration.

Since I'm not up on Aviation values, what is something like this plane worth once it's restored? I see that they spent over a decade getting the permits and $250.000.00 just to raise it from the bottom of Lake Michigan. I would guess that a restoration on something like this would easily approach another half million to a million dollars. Whatever the case, it's great to see these things being brought back from the grave!

$$ depends on the intended use and then the type of aircraft you are talking about. Restoration for display is one thing; restoration for airworthiness and actual flight is quite a bit more extensive as you would imagine. Fighters and other 'muscle' type aircraft command high prices, but there are still "bargains" out there. One aerial firefighting company in Canada recently retired their fleet of modified Avengers, and one could be had for a few hundred thousand. Sounds like a lot of $$, but when you consider what some regular new civilian aircraft cost, it is actually a pretty good deal. Courtesy currently has a completely restored and flying Wildcat up for sale for just less than $1 million. They also have a Corsair wreck available that looks to be in much worse shape than the Dauntless from the lake, and they are asking $425,000 for it. When the Corsair is 'restored', though, it will be worth well over $1 million.

For anyone who likes to dream of finding that drug dealer's suitcase full of cash on the side of the road where it was tossed during a high-speed pursuit (far more likely than winning the lottery, I think) - here is a great website for warbird window-shopping:

http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/

Courtesy has a Steerman for $155K... a bargain compared to the rest of their aircraft.

They also have AT-6's for $188K... cheap compared to the fighters.