Box of unused 1943 Silver Oak Leaf Cluster Devices - Comparison to newer issue OLC

Old Marine

In the past I have seen some posts asking about how to tell a WWII vintage Oak Leaf from one of more current manufacture, maybe these photos will help for comparison value. I came across 2 boxes of the small size Silver Oakleaf clusters, both boxes are dated 1943.

After looking them over and comparing them to some that I knew were of recent manufacture about the only real difference I saw was that the 1943 ones have 2 brass pins attached to the back. The newer ones have a wire that is much thinner and longer than the WWII ones. But, that dosen't help tell the age if it's attached to a ribbon already. The only other thing I noticed was that the 1943 ones look a lot better made, the casting is sharper and more defined.

What do you guys think?

Dennis

post-2843-1240511693.jpg

image.png

This is one from the box:

image.png

Each Oak Leaf Cluster was in an individual glassine bag:

image.png

The 1943 one is on the left, the other 2 are of more recent manufacture, 80s, 90s:

(You can see  how much better looking the sculpting is when compared to the other 2. I am sure there are lots of other types out there but at least now we know what one type of 1943 oak leaf cluster looks like.)

image.png

The 1943 one is on the left. Notice that it has 2 brass pins with heads. The current manufactured ones have the bent wire and the bent wire recessed in to the cluster:

image.png

Captainofthe7th

What timing...I have a Purple Heart ribbon with two holes in it and I was going to ask what OLC would be appropriate. Thank you for the photos!

I've also found that any modern device has a dull copper appearance and fake tarnish, and they break when trying to puncture the ribbon. Cheap cheap cheap.

Rob

What timing...I have a Purple Heart ribbon with two holes in it and I was going to ask what OLC would be appropriate. Thank you for the photos!

I've also found that any modern device has a dull copper appearance and fake tarnish, and they break when trying to puncture the ribbon. Cheap cheap cheap.

Rob

Yes the new ones are very cheap, my supply sergeant hates me because i went though 20 OLC trying to put them on my uniform for the christmas ball we had!

Also Old Marine, are any for sale? If so PM me

That was a great find! Jealous. Anyway, the 1943's are definitely higher quality, looking more sturdy and better defined. I would much prefer those to the cheap current stuff made today. Thanks for showing, too neat!

G

• 13 years later...