Cloth wings

TMBN

Hi

Not sure if im posting in the right section, since all i saw here of wings was metal.

Well bought a huge lot of US insignia today including these wings. They do not glow, just would like to get some opinion on the lot as I know very little about these.

post-3385-1240503417.jpg

Hello TMBN,

Looks like a nice grouping of wings and other insignia. The cloth wings themselves are not particularly valuable figure about 10-20 USD for each one. It looks like you have some bullion wings as well and those can be up to 100 if they are nice(and these look to be so) the Wing and Prop collar insignia are nice and not common so figure 30-50 for the cloth versions and it looks like you have a of couple of bullion examples as well, figure those at 40-60 bucks. The US's are more common so figure 20-30 for those.

Hello TMBN,

Looks like a nice grouping of wings and other insignia. The cloth wings themselves are not particularly valuable figure about 10-20 USD for each one. It looks like you have some bullion wings as well and those can be up to 100 if they are nice(and these look to be so) the Wing and Prop collar insignia are nice and not common so figure 30-50 for the cloth versions and it looks like you have a of couple of bullion examples as well, figure those at 40-60 bucks. The US's are more common so figure 20-30 for those.

Thanks Gary for the info.

Didnt think any of the wings where bullion?

Cheers

Close ups of some of the wings, front and back. Which era are these from?? Ill try to identify them tonight, but any help is welcome again.

post-3385-1240597951.jpg

post-3385-1240597963.jpg

John Cooper
Hi

Not sure if im posting in the right section, since all i saw here of wings was metal.

Well bought a huge lot of US insignia today including these wings. They do not glow, just would like to get some opinion on the lot as I know very little about these.

post-3385-1240503417.jpg

Hi TMBN you are in the RIGHT section!

Nice haul of wings! I think they are under appreciated by many... I recently picked up 20 myself (only bidder) for $1 each all on tan cloth.

I have noticed lately a few seller trying to get $9-25 each which is crazy IMHO! I decided to start picking them up to round things off a bit and they are very easy to store not to mention the wife can not say too much at the cost ;)

Cheers

John

Cobrahistorian
Hi TMBN you are in the RIGHT section!

Nice haul of wings! I think they are under appreciated by many... I recently picked up 20 myself (only bidder) for $1 each all on tan cloth.

I have noticed lately a few seller trying to get $9-25 each which is crazy IMHO! I decided to start picking them up to round things off a bit and they are very easy to store not to mention the wife can not say too much at the cost ;)

Cheers

John

A local antique store near me has a bunch of the embroidered on OD51 gabardine wings. I picked up one of each for giggles and ended up selling about half of them for about ten bucks each. Seems to be the going rate these days, possibly more depending on what they are. The Glider pilot and early gold Flight Surgeon wings are probably going to be the most valuable.

Cloth wings and insignia are sorely underappreciated!

Jon

The bullion insignia are the collar wing and prop insignia.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Gary for the info.

Didnt think any of the wings where bullion?

Cheers

Hi

post-3385-1240503417.jpg

Hi TMBN,

A short humorous story from Duncan Campbell concerning the embroidered wings such as those you picked up. On a visit to his house years ago, he handed me a sack full of these wings. I asked him how he could part with about 100 such wings and he chuckled and said follow me. We went into another room where there was a washing machine shipping box about 3/4 full of these wings. He stated that shortly after WW2 he went into a military tailor shop and noticed a shoe box full of the embroidered wings on the counter. He inquired as to purchasing them and was told that there were a couple boxes of them in the back and he could have them all for a few dollars. He purchased them site unseen with the agreement that the store world ship the boxes to his home as he was traveling and could not carry several boxes around with him, assuming they were more shoe boxes. A couple weeks later two washing machine shipping cartons arrived at his house full of the wings. He had been trying to get rid of them since and as of 20 years ago still had 3/4 of a box left. He also made mention that during the war the embroidered wings such as these actually cost more than the metal wings. But they were not to popular and a lot of them were left over after the war. I noticed that you also have one Master Army Aviator embroidered wing on tan in the lot. You have a very nice representation here. Good find.

Terry Morris

John Cooper

Terry that is a great inside story thanks for posting... It is funny because a friend of mine told me a similar story about having many of these wings and giving them away as well...

If you or anyone else has some persion photos of these wings in wear please share them... cough cough Patrick... ;)

John

A local antique store near me has a bunch of the embroidered on OD51 gabardine wings. I picked up one of each for giggles and ended up selling about half of them for about ten bucks each. Seems to be the going rate these days, possibly more depending on what they are. The Glider pilot and early gold Flight Surgeon wings are probably going to be the most valuable.

Cloth wings and insignia are sorely underappreciated!

Jon

Hi

You mention OD51 garbardine wings. Im totally green in this area, could you explain more. I guess this is pretty basic for you guys, so help a poor fellow out :)

Thanks

Ole

Hi TMBN,

A short humorous story from Duncan Campbell concerning the embroidered wings such as those you picked up. On a visit to his house years ago, he handed me a sack full of these wings. I asked him how he could part with about 100 such wings and he chuckled and said follow me. We went into another room where there was a washing machine shipping box about 3/4 full of these wings. He stated that shortly after WW2 he went into a military tailor shop and noticed a shoe box full of the embroidered wings on the counter. He inquired as to purchasing them and was told that there were a couple boxes of them in the back and he could have them all for a few dollars. He purchased them site unseen with the agreement that the store world ship the boxes to his home as he was traveling and could not carry several boxes around with him, assuming they were more shoe boxes. A couple weeks later two washing machine shipping cartons arrived at his house full of the wings. He had been trying to get rid of them since and as of 20 years ago still had 3/4 of a box left. He also made mention that during the war the embroidered wings such as these actually cost more than the metal wings. But they were not to popular and a lot of them were left over after the war. I noticed that you also have one Master Army Aviator embroidered wing on tan in the lot. You have a very nice representation here. Good find.

Terry Morris

Hi Terry

Thanks for the info and a great story. I had seen this collection for 11 years ago and found it again in the same shop so I made him an offer for 150 dollars for the lot, there where more items then what I have shown here in the lot. Thought this would be a nice start in an new collector area.

Ole

Hi TMBN,

Terry Morris

I have a similar story from my newbie days. When I first started collecting wings, I found Russ Huff's phone number someplace and called him on the phone to ask him some questions. He was very pleasant and friendly (although I suspect I interrupted his dinner). After a few minutes, he gave me the contact information for Don Chaliff and Duncan Campbell--perhaps in an evil attempt to "spread the wealth" by passing me along (a naive and breathless collector with a ton of dumb questions) to the other wing experts. Both Mr. Chaliff and Campbell were also very gracious and kind and I have always thought they were what a wing collector should be all about. But I digress...

In regards to my questions, Mr Campbell wrote me a very nice letter and in the envelop enclosed two or three of the cloth wings. I was dumbstruck by his kindness and offered to pay him. He politely deferred and ignored the faux pas and rudeness. To me, to get an unsolicited gift from the "WWI WING EXPERT", was stunning and unexpected gift. At the time, my humble collection was a 2 inch AMICO pilot wing, a 3 inch 9M marked NS Meyer's USAF observer wing and beautiful 3 inch Luxenberg bombardier wing that had been given to me by a friend of the family. The three cloth wings (a balloon pilot, balloon observer, and gold flight surgeon wing on gaberdine material) were something special and doubled my collection! I eventually learned that the wings were not all that valuable but I didnt care, and when I was later contacted in a similar way by another newbie collector, I paid the wings forward (told him that they were from the Respected Duncan Campbell's collection) and I thought it would be nice if they went into another beginning collection. I like to think that those wings are making the rounds from one novice collector to another and making them as happy as they made me.

Patrick

Cobrahistorian
Hi

You mention OD51 garbardine wings. Im totally green in this area, could you explain more. I guess this is pretty basic for you guys, so help a poor fellow out :)

Thanks

Ole

Olive Drab, Shade 51 gabardine wool is the fabric used to make the "Chocolate" Officer's jacket. I've got a bunch of wings embroidered on this fabric, and it looks like the center 14 wings of your lot are too!

Jon

John Cooper
Hi

Thanks

Ole

Ole - not sure if you have heard of this book but the GI Collectors guide is a great reference by Historie & Collections. If you go to the BOOKSTORE TAB at the top of the web page you will find a link to the book.

BTW I think the lables of the time listed it as O.D. DARK ELASTIQUE :)

Terry that is a great inside story thanks for posting... It is funny because a friend of mine told me a similar story about having many of these wings and giving them away as well...

If you or anyone else has some persion photos of these wings in wear please share them... cough cough Patrick... ;)

John

Here are a couple of shirts in my collection that have the embroidered wings on them-Markpost-527-1241140149.jpgpost-527-1241140157.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi

post-3385-1240503417.jpg

Hi TMBN, I'm new to the board, and wanted to let you know that I would like to buy one of your patches. Hopefully this will find its way to you, thanks much, skotpatch - [email protected]

• 7 months later...

Hi

Does Mr Duncan Campbell still sell cloth wings. If so does anyone have his address or E-mail so I could contact him.

Thanks. Charlie

My E-mail is: vhalftrack@ aol.com