The Forgotten War on Drugs

mp's son

All:

I am new to this forum, and don't want to come across to strongly at first. But I work on an Air Force base helping to train our new airmen in the ways of satellite operations. During these training sessions, I hear all kinds of conversations, everything from thier dating techniques to what they "think" war is like. Today was no exception. Several of these airmen were speculating with thier supposed infinite wisdom on combat on how hard-core they would be if faced with the terrifying happenings in places like Iraq.

I spent 6 years active Army, 3 of which stationed in Panama in the mid-80's. Listening to these kids discussing thier "wanna-be Rambo" bravado got me spun up and thinking of those years in Panama, and a few smart Army-like comments flew outward towards these students. On my way home from work, I sat thinking in restrospect. I have never been to Iraq, or Afganistan, and our time "South of the Border" was nothing close to the insurgents our troops deal with today, or the unknowing IED that lies in wait. However. the memories I have are still mind-numbing.

I worked on and crewed Blackhawk (and sometimes Chinook....YIKES!) helicopters and helped to support anti-drug operations in lovely places such as Columbia, Honduras, and Bolivia. All of us (pilots, crewchiefs, medics, etc.) flew into places even God had forgotten about, hauling DEA, Customs, and local law enforcement. From my memories, we never saw much in regards to fire-fights, but the aftermath from our "passengers" destroying a Cocaine lab was enough to send chills up the spine, and cause a few MRE's to come back up. One such memory involved a medic treating children forced into working in a lab. In this case, the kids were used to pound the coca into a paste using anything the "lab-techs" could get thier hands on....medicinal alcohol, gasoline, MEK. These kids would stomp in a big vat on the leaves while chemicals were added, like in some bizarre Italian grape stomping session. The kids would chew raw coca leaves to kill the pain in thier feet as these chemicals basically chewed off thier feet. Our medic broke down in tears treating these kids, while some of us got really mad thinking "How can people force kids to do this?". We wanted blood.

Another memory of mine was when I went home on leave during this time and a neighbor of my brother's asked me if I wanted to "burn one" with him. Memories of those kids, and other things, flew through my mind and I basically called him a few choice words and told him to stay away from me. Though I was proud of our efforts back then, seeing this guy doing these drugs in "my" country made me feel like our struggles were for nothing, so long a bozo's like him supported the efforts of whom we were fighting against. That was kind of a "slap in the face" at the time. I told my father, who served during Vietnam, about this incident and he basically told me that, "Not everyone appreciates or understands what you have been through. Just ignore thier stupidity and hold your head up and be proud."

To make a long story short, the troops that supported these "forgotten" missions faced horrors unimagionable, just as our troops do today in Iraq and Afganistan. The difference lies in the fact that these "drug warriors" were basically forgotten about once Miami Vice got cancelled. It troubles me that we received no recognition and felt as though we were fighting an endless battle with our hands tied behind our backs. I feel for the troops today with what they face and I am very proud of every single one and I thank God that our country supports them as it does. However, I hope that, someday, the folks who tried tackling the seemingly useless task of drug-interdiction during the 80's will not be forgotten.

Enough ranting from me. It is just that I have always wanted to get this off my chest.

Thanks for listening,

Matt

Hi Matt.

Yes, you guys definitely rate amongst the unsung heroes...thanks for trying to make a difference.

And thanks for writing a powerful post.

Those of us who collect Central American items and militaria from the war on drugs have never forgotten the sacrfice these soldiers have made! When you have time, I'd love to hear more stories! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Arch

Matt,

Welcome aboard and thankyou for your service and dedication.I had a friend who served as a bodyguard to General Wells in Panama in the early 80s.If I may can I ask if your missions were called Snow Cap?

RD

Rakkasan187

post-5554-1240620382.jpg

Matt,

I understand where you are coming from. I was assigned to Joint Task Force 6 back in the 90's, and it was a great tour of duty. Everyone there really felt that we were doing something good. I was a JOC watch officer (Joint Operations Center) and it was thrilling to get reports about drug seizures and other events that prevented illegal drugs from entering the country.

I was part of the team who was commanded by General Griffin, then General Lovelace, and finally General Anderson.

The pocket badge that you see was a "prototype badge" that was never authorized for wear, but a few were made in case they were approved. From what I was told, they were to be pocket badges similiar to those worn by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and other officials.

I was very good friends with several members of the Special Forces Detachment that we had on the ground assigned to JTF-6.

When I left, one of these was given to me for my service.

So enjoy the badge and thank you for service.

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr

JTF-6 1996/1997

Matt, while I didn't do anything near as meaningful as what you and others have done in the war on drugs, I did do a small part. I flew counter drug missions for three years while I was in the National Guard, in the forgotten theater of that forgotten war here in the States. Only found two sites. It was a great experience and personally rewarding though, working with the State and Local officials combating a very forgotten 'enemy' of the US giving me a greater understanding of what the 'war' was/is all about.

Rakkasan187

Yes sir,

I remember the guys in the MATT cell planned those missions. We in the JOC would get the daily SITREPS from you guys on the STU III classified phone/fax machine.

good times !!!!!

Thanks for sharing

Leigh....

Zippo Grunt

Matt,

Thanks,for your recollections.

Ive seen i few Zippos on the war on drugs,plus i came upon this patch. From the USS Yorktown CG-48. HSL 42 Helicopter Squadron also know as Weedwackers.

post-4917-1240946129.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was in C Co. 2/14th Infantry 10th mtn. from Sept. 85-Dec 88. I think the closest I ever came to a non-training deployment was when we we all locked down in the barracks for a possible deployment to an undisclosed location. The rumor was that we were to be sent to raid drug camps somewhere in Central America. We never found out if that was the case or not as it never went down, but I always wondered.