Cleaning a WWII Holster

vettepartz

In my search for equipment made in 1918, I picked up this holster with a SEARS 1942 stamp on it. I was told I was getting a military holster that was USGI for a Colt 45 and got this. It is really in great shape; just not a 1918 date. However, it is quite dirty/stained from being so old, I guess. I used a leather conditioner and got a lot of the residue off, but it took an extremely lot of rubbing and shining, like about 3 hours worth so far. I feel I am only half way there. Is there any kind of product or method that will help to get rid of the remaining residue more easily? I am trying to clean it to make it more presentable to sell or trade. It does appear to be in really good condition for a 1942 holster.

Holster01.jpg

Holster02.jpg

Holster03.jpg

LoadedColt45

If it were mine, and I had already appplied a leather conditioner, I would stop there - especially if you do not plan on keeping it.

Most collectors will want it "original & untouched"even if it is a little dirty. Honest wear is just fine.

texasscotchman

I agree with Loaded Colt 45. If you are going to sell it its good to go as it is. anything else you do could detract from the originality of it. I would buy it like it is.

If it were mine and I was going to keep it, the only thing I would touch it with would be Pecard's. Its a great holster !

Looks like a beautiful condish holster for a 1942! If that's what you got after the conditioner and rubbing, i would stop there also. Looks tops!

It depends on the conditioner. Use only Pecard Antique Leather Dressing because it wont dark the leather as others do. To remove dirty and old shoe wax the choice is saddle soap but strictly only if you know how to use it and after some experimentation on old leather scraps.

It depends on the conditioner. Use only Pecard Antique Leather Dressing. To remove dirty and old shoe wax the choice is saddle soap but strictly only if you know how to use it and after some experimentation on old leather scraps.

Hahahah, We think alike!

If you are looking for a 1918 holster, remember that most are undated but all have inspectors initials below manufacturer's markings.

If you are looking for a 1918 holster, remember that most are undated but all have inspectors initials below manufacturer's markings.

The holster is not quite as shiny as the picture makes it look; I think that is because of the camera flash. It appears that someone had used a darker shoe polish on it, like oxblood or cordovan color. I used the same conditioner that I use on my Corvette interior, which has been working well for many years. I may finish up removing the last of the wax stains then go to the pecards.

Thanks for all of the valuable information from everyone.

Nice holster. I would only add that there are people who swear that Pecards is a bad idea, and should never be used, for various reasons. There are numerous threads on the issue around this forum and others. I don't use the stuff (though I use another dressing if absolutely neccessary), and some swear that nothing should be used, ever. It is, of course, up to you, since it's your holster, and this is still a free country. ;)

• 4 years later...
1st.marine.captain.17

Constant brushing and then wiping down with a damp cloth, then a bunch more of brushing then condition with Pecard. Rub it in hard. Then as it absorbed, buff with cloth, then brush vigorously. If you wish then wipe down with moist cloth and add a dab of Pecard or Neatsfoot oil monthly (or occasionally - depends on usage). But remember, for any kind of leather, horse hair shoe brushes are always best.

I used Pecard without any problems at all. To avoid having spews on surfaces (the nasty white stuff that appears over time) all that one need is constant brushing. If it happens, just wipe it out, buff it up and then brush it all over.