Blackinton "Leatherneck" Award

Tony V

I found this one over the weekend and thought everyone might enjoy seeing it. I was wondering if "Leatherneck" ever awarded this. It is from 1964 and I must admit to never seeing one like it.

Tony

post-4932-1240440721.jpg

post-4932-1240440745.jpg

Leatherneck takes letters and answers them. you may want to send a pic to them and maybe they can fill you in, if not in an issue then directly

Brig

Good idea. I was talking to a friend about this award the other day and the funny thing about it he has never seen one like it eather.

Tony

just stand by. never know. I had the 1942 badge in my Blackinton topic for 5 years before I ever saw anything with the same style top bar...and then I found a half dozen in two months!

• 1 year later...
talk about coincidence...on eBay listed last night...

I received a medal identical to that one when I was in bootcamp at Parris Island in 1964. It was for tying for third place at the rifle range. Only 4 were given out. To the four highest shooters. It was the only one given out in our platoon. It's called the Leatherneck Award. Mine got lost in my many divorces. It's good to see one again.

I received a medal identical to that one when I was in bootcamp at Parris Island in 1964. It was for tying for third place at the rifle range. Only 4 were given out. To the four highest shooters. It was the only one given out in our platoon. It's called the Leatherneck Award. Mine got lost in my many divorces. It's good to see one again.