M1949 Sleeping Bag

pezboy

Is this the correct sleeping bag for the mid 50s to early 60s? Are there different sizes? What size would fit a 6' person? Is there a bivy cover that goes with it? Were they used very much? Lastly, where can I find one in mint condition and how much should I expect to pay.

Thanks in advance,

Dustin

craig_pickrall

The M49 was used until the late 80's I think. Maybe longer than that by some units. They come in regular and large. If you are 6' and heavy set you would probably be more comfortable in a large size. They have lace on waterproof covers and also a liner is available. Covers are easy to find but liners aren't so common. Yes they were used in great numbers. If you live close to a military base there are usually good surplus stores in the area and they should have them at reasonable prices. I can't answer the supply and demand part of your question other than that.

Greg Robinson

I used to see new ones listed for sale in the surplus dealer mail order catalogs. But that was mostly in the 1980's and '90's before the internet made printed catalogs obsolete. What I saw back then were new "mountain" M1949 bags in both regular and large sizes and they had the white printed labels inside. Those replaced the inkstamped markings in the 1970's so I assume there were post Viet Nam vintage bags. But they weren't cheap so when I went looking in 1996 for one to take on a camping trip I found a near new 1960's bag in an army navy store for $25 including the waterproof cover. I really don't think you'll have a lot of luck in most of your army surplus stores since the newer style bags replaced the M1949 in the '80's. My suggestion would be to do a google search for one sold by the large internet surplus dealers and occasionally I see nice ones for sale on ebay

On those links it lists Intermediate Cold Weather and Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bags. Aren't these the newer bags made out of synthetic material? I have seen vintage Arctic bags listed. What different versions of the M1949 are there?

Dustin

craig_pickrall

You are right about the Intermediate Cold Weather and Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bags being a newer design.

The M49 design stayed constant over the course of it's history. The Artic Bag is actually an inner and outer bag that look very much like the M49. It was made in the same time frame as the M49. I think it was the first of those links that had M49's listed.

Greg Robinson
You are right about the Intermediate Cold Weather and Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bags being a newer design.

The M49 design stayed constant over the course of it's history. The Artic Bag is actually an inner and outer bag that look very much like the M49. It was made in the same time frame as the M49. I think it was the first of those links that had M49's listed.

The arctic bags in my collection are USMC contract and made in 1951. Both the "inner" and "outer" bags have the same nomenclature of BAG, SLEEPING, M-1949 ARCTIC. I own one USMC M-1949 "Mountain" bag, made in 1952, which was also marked as an "inner" bag so I assume that was a way of having one sleeping bag serve two purposes.

The M-1949 arctic bags seem awkword to me since in an emergency you'd have to upzip two bags.

• 7 months later...

About 15 years ago I picked up a Korean War Casualty Evacuation Bag. It was developed during the Korean War to keep the wounded protected from sub-freezing temperatures, it's rated to -60F. It has 8 lbs. of down feather filling (total bag weight - 8½ lbs.) an O.D. green cotton shell and a khaki cotton lining. Full length heavy duty metal zipper also zips up both sides of face with a Coyote fur trim hood for maximum protection against the cold while on the outer rack on a helocopter or vehicle. It is 90" from feet to top of head, 35" wide at shoulders and 25" wide at feet. I have used this bag for years and it is super warm. I see them now and then from $100 to $300 new unissued. My ex-wife and I use to sleep together in it while camping and it was comfortable. A big man can sleep very comfortably in one of these. If you do a Google search you can find them but their not cheap. I stole the picture from the web. but mine is identical.

post-8802-1259978309.jpg

About 15 years ago I picked up a Korean War Casualty Evacuation Bag. It was developed during the Korean War to keep the wounded protected from sub-freezing temperatures, it's rated to -60F. It has 8 lbs. of down feather filling (total bag weight - 8½ lbs.) an O.D. green cotton shell and a khaki cotton lining. Full length heavy duty metal zipper also zips up both sides of face with a Coyote fur trim hood for maximum protection against the cold while on the outer rack on a helocopter or vehicle. It is 90" from feet to top of head, 35" wide at shoulders and 25" wide at feet. I have used this bag for years and it is super warm. I see them now and then from $100 to $300 new unissued. My ex-wife and I use to sleep together in it while camping and it was comfortable. A big man can sleep very comfortably in one of these. If you do a Google search you can find them but their not cheap. I stole the picture from the web. but mine is identical.

I used to have one of these I "stole" from the 11th SFGA when they de-activeated,they just set stuff out in the hallway,and whoever wanted something took it. I made SEVERAL trips,with my rear bumper dragging,with manuals,ALW tubes,Claymore training aids,sleeping bags,ski's ect.

My Best thing was one of THESE casevac bags-I LOVED it. I used it in the field several times in the winter,thanks to compression sack.

just a tip: If you use a outer cover,spray it heavily,and several times with waterproofing spray. If you get a Intermediate or Extreme cold bag,sprat the bottom of the bag with waterproofing spray if you are going to use it outside,OR,get a gor-tex cover/bivy bag,as they hold water and take forever to dry once wet.

I have an M-1949 bag and I'm 6'1", 220 pounds and I find mine comfy enough. If you are buying in person take a tame measure! If over Epay, ask the seller to measure it for you. I got a wool bag and never checked it out before I went to a tactical and tries to use it... it was ummm like for a gut that was maybe 5'8 or so and I spent the worst night ever that night trying to sleep stuffed up in that bag. Thats why I went with the -49.

Hope this helps

Wayne

post-551-1260037098.jpg

This is my 49 made in 51. Its the inner. I can't find a size but I'm 6-4 270 and I fit. The outer laces to it so one zipper opens both. I've only seen one and I bought it. Some day maybe I'll find the outer but not holding my breath. Its tagged Bag,Sleeping Mountain M-1949 and Bag Sleeping Artic M-1949

When rolled up can the M1949 Large Mountain bag fit in the new Molle II Sleeping Bag Carrier and Modular Sleeping System compression sack ? I was looking at getting my buddy a compression sack or Molle II Carrier for his Mountain bag.

mollesleep.jpg

MGR-905.jpg

The M49 was used until the late 80's I think. Maybe longer than that by some units. They come in regular and large. If you are 6' and heavy set you would probably be more comfortable in a large size. They have lace on waterproof covers and also a liner is available. Covers are easy to find but liners aren't so common. Yes they were used in great numbers. If you live close to a military base there are usually good surplus stores in the area and they should have them at reasonable prices. I can't answer the supply and demand part of your question other than that.

waterproof covers are you talking about the case sleeping bag m-1945? or was there a different cover? the reason i ask is because the m1945 sleeping bag cover i have for mine is not very water proof dew repellent may be, but any thing more then a very light rain and its soaked.mine is used where they treated with something when they were new?i've all so heard of a nylon version of the case is that true?

last were the m1949 sleeping bags issued with a waterproof clothing bag

to the best of my knowledge NO nylon cases were made for the M-49 bags....we were issued the cotton poplin cases right up to the end of the M-49 being out of the system...thier was a sleeping bag case issued with the M-43 wool sleeping bag (no such thing as a M-45 bag i'm pretty sure) it laced to the bag same as the M-49, the M-43 bag and case opened up to about waist level,the M-49 bag and case opened up to about shin/calf level....the cases for the m-43 wool bags have always been hard to find in any condition(at least for me),the M-49 cases you can find pretty easy at surplus stores....by the way the M-43 wool bag has been called a "liner" for the M-49 bag but this is not correct, the M-43 wool bag/case was a sleeping system in its own right....but of course you could put the M-43 in a m-49 bag or any bag for added warmth,but it was made to stand alone...in the Army when you got issued your equipment (TA-50) at either Company level (in the old days) or now at CIF you got issued with two water proof bags and yes you could put your sleeping gear into one bag and your clothing etc. in the next bag,so yea you kind of sort of got issued a water proof bag with your fartsack and a M-56 sleeping bag carrier....vince g. 11B Infantry.....

craig_pickrall

This is the type bag 11B is talking about. This one is marked as USMC but is the same exact bag used by the Army. They are commonly known as waterproof clothing bags but these two examples are dual marked for clothing and sleeping bags. Notice on the first example the ink stamp says clothing and the small white tag says sleeping bag. These are very common in the surplus system.

post-5-1260304656.jpg

post-5-1260304666.jpg

post-5-1260304677.jpg