HANG CHOW HOUSEBOAT EXPEDITION MEDAL

bobgee

can't get over that Spoof medal...and the LONG ribbon on the GC. Re-ribboned by him at some point perhaps?

BigJohn#3RD

Bob,

As always interesting info on a China Marine, Thanks For Sharing and for reviving this from the archives.

Regards,

John

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Howdy all - came across this thread and since it's been awhile thought I'd bump it up for general interest! Semper Fi.......Bob

• 1 year later...

I was reading through a September 12, 1935 edition of The Chevron newsletter and found an additional reference to the Hang Chow Houseboat Expedition. For those that don't know, The Chevron was published weekly by the Non-Commissioned Officer's Club, 4th Marines, Shanghai, China. The article makes reference to these trips being organized by Chaplain Witherspoon and they consisted of a seven day houseboat trip to Hang Chow, Lake Tai Wu, Wusih and Soochow.

post-19174-0-57675100-1581987535.jpg

Always love seeing this brought up...been hoping to stumble on one of these for years. And another Soochow, I should have never traded my last one

Close-up of the article:

Great info, katieony - Thanks for posting. It's great to learn new stuff about old things! Semper Fi - Bob

Seeing the continued interest in this China spoof medal I pulled it out and took some better pics. Enjoy - Semper Fi - Bob

HANGCHOW 1.jpg

HANGCHOW 2.jpg

HANGCHOW 3.jpg

HANGCHOW 4.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this was one of Bob's favorite posts and I wanted to share some images of another Hang=Chow-Houseboat-Expedition Medal.  This example is part of a medal group to A. Preston who served a couple tours in China during the 1930s.  He attached a "ROYAL SCOTS" regimental cap badge to the ribbon and I have left it as found.  I believe the Royal Scots were serving in China at the same time and he probably traded for the cap badge.

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

Spectacular! Like the attachment of the Royal Scots badge.....your probably correct in that he traded for it. One of my groupings to Shanghai Marine has a bonnet to a highland regiment that was there as the Marine in the late 1930's. It was not uncommon for the various nationalities to trade insignia 

Wonderful to see another one of these show up...these are one of those hen's teeth most of us will have to admire through photos

• 1 month later...

Yes it was. Houseboating on the Soochow was a popular tourist activity in the 20’s and 30’s. The Chaplain just chartered several customized trips for the Marines in Shanghai.