Sr. Para Wings

Brian Keith

These wings are on an ID'd uniform of a WW II 101 Vet (and ex-POW), the uniform was originally purchased (through a shop in the Pentagon) in the late 1950's.

I did not recognized this maker, but I'm sure some of you guys will.

I didn’t make a close up of the wings on this camera card, sorry, but it is the back that is more interesting to me. I can post a better photo of the front if you want.

I thought they are nice wings.

I plan to get more info and post photo's of this and his green uniform in the uniform section soon.

BKW

post-1549-1240404476.jpg

post-1549-1240404486.jpg

John Cooper

I would not mind seeing the front! Thanks for posting... I hope to see more Jump & Glider wings... maybe need to branch out a bit... ;)

John

• 6 months later...

I was looking at this viet's paperwork recently and found out he didn't go to jump school till 1957! He retired in 1963 or '64, so these pin back wings were probably purchased by him in the early 1960's. Kinda late for a pinback wing. I was mistaken in my first post, he was in a leg unit in WW II and captured in Italy. Spent some time post war with the 82nd than ended his career with the 101st.

BKW

I was looking at this viet's paperwork recently and found out he didn't go to jump school till 1957! He retired in 1963 or '64, so these pin back wings were probably purchased by him in the early 1960's. Kinda late for a pinback wing. I was mistaken in my first post, he was in a leg unit in WW II and captured in Italy. Spent some time post war with the 82nd than ended his career with the 101st.

BKW

Brian,

It is possible that he purchased earlier wings on his own. I got my jump school wings in 1976 and Master Wings in 1985. Both issued sets were 1/20 Silver filled clutch backs. I acquired earlier sterling wings either at auction or in a surplus shop. Some of the sterling sets are pin back, some clutch back. Before I went to jumpmaster's school, I sometimes wore my uncle's WWII basic wing to honor his memory.

My Senior Wings [1984] were also 1/20th Silver Filled, but the FT Bragg Clothing Sales store had sterling clutch back wings in the packet for sale for about $1.85.

Wearing of older wings was not uncommon, as long as the wearer was authorized that qualification.

regards,

Mike

Brian,

It is possible that he purchased earlier wings on his own. I got my jump school wings in 1976 and Master Wings in 1985. Both issued sets were 1/20 Silver filled clutch backs. I acquired earlier sterling wings either at auction or in a surplus shop. Some of the sterling sets are pin back, some clutch back. Before I went to jumpmaster's school, I sometimes wore my uncle's WWII basic wing to honor his memory.

My Senior Wings [1984] were also 1/20th Silver Filled, but the FT Bragg Clothing Sales store had sterling clutch back wings in the packet for sale for about $1.85.

Wearing of older wings was not uncommon, as long as the wearer was authorized that qualification.

regards,

Mike

Mike,

Yes, that is a possiblility, my thought is that perhaps he purchased them through the tailor who may have had pretty old stock. I don't know when the maker was producing the badges. It is a very nice one!

Thanks for your comments.

BKW

I agree that he probably bought what ever the uniform shop had on hand. As for them being "older", they wouldn't necessarily have been all that old if he bought them in about 1960 or so, since the Senior Parachutist badge didn't officially come out until 1950. So the wings were probably made in the early 1950's.

Vance

Mike,

Yes, that is a possiblility, my thought is that perhaps he purchased them through the tailor who may have had pretty old stock. I don't know when the maker was producing the badges. It is a very nice one!

Thanks for your comments.

BKW

A friend of mine who is a retired Army Major stated out in the late 50s with the 11th Airborne,Ranger qualified in the 60s,was an advisor in Viet Nam around 1964 and retired in 69-70.He stated you could still buy sterling pin back wings at Ft.Bragg in 1969 that were WW2 stock.

Great looking uniform and thanks for posting.

RON