Back Enameled Legion of Merit

Military-Memorabilia

Military-Memorabilia

I am sure most are aware of the 1943 National Geograpic illustrations which depict the reverse of the Commander and Officer/Legionnaire Grade Legion of Merit medals having enameled reverses. I am also sure, that for most of us, the only back-enameled Legion of Merit medal ever seen is the Commander's Grade medal. The JOMSA article about back-enameled Officer/Legionnaire medals states that the enameling of Legion of Merit medals in the lower grades was discontinued shortly after the medal was promogulated, due to a lack of skilled enamelers. Does anyone have a photo to share of a genuine back-enameled Officer or Legionnaire Grade Legion of Merit? I am assuming, due to their being the first of production, that they should be LOW numbered medals on a Wrap Brooch suspension. think.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I see you never got an answer to your question. This one belongs to forum member Ricardo and has been posted on the USMF before.

post-151-1241276674.jpg

Military-Memorabilia
thumbsup.gif So these DO exist after all! While I am not suprised by the Wrap Brooch, it is a slight surprise that it appears to be unnumbered :blink: . Is there any market data on the value of these medals think.gif ?

The brooch is numbered, it just doesn't show up in the photograph. IIRC, the first four hundred of these made had enameling on the back side of the pendant. They are rare and pricey.

Allan

• 11 years later...

Again, they are pricey. Some of the folks here who have one can better advise market value better than me. 
If I recall what I’ve read, the process of enameling the reverse became too cost prohibitive so after those initial production the practice was discontinued for the Legionnaire and Officer grades