WWI PAINTED HELMETS

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frank, your Indian head matches mine pretty closely. Could have been in the same company. I do believe yours is a 1/6 and that the paint has darkened to a nice deep maroon as mine has. Is it a British made Brodie lid?

Jeremiah

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Actively seeking WW1 4th and 5th Brigade USMC helmets and also a named WW2 Raider green blouse.
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail, if I could I surely would....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very surprised that there haven't been any comments on your helmet Ken. I, for one, love it. Looks to me like a classic example of a painted parade helmet.

Jeremiah

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Actively seeking WW1 4th and 5th Brigade USMC helmets and also a named WW2 Raider green blouse.
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail, if I could I surely would....

Sorry, I included this as a joke. These helmets actually failed the ordnance tests and were rejected. Instead of trashing them, the Army painted a red stripe, punched a hole in the rim and issued them as training helmets only. That was my understanding maybe someone else knows something different.

Rolf

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I'm very surprised that there haven't been any comments on your helmet Ken. I, for one, love it. Looks to me like a classic example of a painted parade helmet.

Jeremiah

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for the comments. I was pleased to be able to get this one and it makes a very impressive addition to my 3ID collection.

All these WWI painted helmets are great! So many were done after the war for occupation duty, parades, VFW gatherings, etc. They are a great piece of history!

Collecting early US Army headgear and uniforms.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Guest Cody Grayland

Being new to this Forum I'd like to offer a few of my favorite painted doughboys...

1st ID.

post-910-1178156681.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought it would be nice to resurrect a great thread and add my WWI lids to the collection(aka. before E_G). :rolleyes: Pic. 1 - 39th ID Camo

WWI_AEF_004.jpg

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif