WWI PAINTED HELMETS

BEAST

CNY Militaria

Here is my one and only. 27th ID given to me from a friend. I am glad to have this as I collect NY items!

army_017.jpg

army_020.jpg

army_021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
jeremiahcable

I'm very surprised that there haven't been any comments on your helmet Ken. I, for one, love it. Looks to me like a classic example of a painted parade helmet.

Jeremiah

Sorry, I included this as a joke. These helmets actually failed the ordnance tests and were rejected. Instead of trashing them, the Army painted a red stripe, punched a hole in the rim and issued them as training helmets only. That was my understanding maybe someone else knows something different.

Rolf

I'm very surprised that there haven't been any comments on your helmet Ken. I, for one, love it. Looks to me like a classic example of a painted parade helmet.

Jeremiah

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for the comments. I was pleased to be able to get this one and it makes a very impressive addition to my 3ID collection.

All these WWI painted helmets are great! So many were done after the war for occupation duty, parades, VFW gatherings, etc. They are a great piece of history!

Fixbayonets!

I am also a big fan of painted WWI helmets & you guys have some super examples. Here is a 77th Division helmet in excellent condition.

Rob

post-168-1177893073.jpg

Guest Cody Grayland

Being new to this Forum I'd like to offer a few of my favorite painted doughboys...

1st ID.

post-910-1178156681.jpg

Guest Cody Grayland

2nd ID, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines. Sourced from a Southern California estate sale.

post-910-1178156815.jpg

Just picked up this 36th helemt today. The arrowhead is FAT compared to my other examples of a painted 36th shown. To bad there is a dent in it! I am sure it was dented while he wore it!

post-98-1178409350.jpg

post-98-1178409359.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought it would be nice to resurrect a great thread and add my WWI lids to the collection(aka. before E_G). :rolleyes: Pic. 1 - 39th ID Camo

WWI_AEF_004.jpg