WWI PAINTED HELMETS

BEAST

• 4 weeks later...

81st Division. Here's a question, though. Anybody have an idea about the meaning of the letters surrounding the "wildcat" division symbol? I assume one letter probably represents the company, but the others have me stumped. Any help appreciated.

post-96808-0-84395800-1471022973.png

This is my latest find out of NYC, a 77th Division helmet from the "Lost Battalion." It is a Brodie with hard rubber ring beneath a curry colored felt. The chinstrap is named to a Sgt Mooney.

Enjoy

Paul

post-162927-0-08941500-1471035882_thumb.jpg

post-162927-0-01720400-1471035908_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody on the Forum snag this 2/5 helmet on EBay? It went for a whopping $1647.99. Obviously a traceable piece with initials' MES'  A nice item but why such a high price?

EBay 2-5 Helmet 1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I acquired this from a fellow member, but don't believe he posted a picture of it here. I've seen a few of these 101st FA helmets but never one with this detailed of artwork.

I really like this helmet, but what I really want for my collection is a 101st ammo train or 101st infantry. Would consider a trade for one of those, but otherwise am keeping it in my collection.

post-124022-0-09291200-1473799153_thumb.jpg

I just found this helmet at an antique shop yesterday. The price was right but the helmet is odd to say the least. The helmet is a WW1 US discarded helmet as denoted by the punched hole and red stripe across the top. What is odd is the painted fifth marine regiment insignia painted on the front of the helmet. All parts of the helmet appear to be the same age.

Was this a possible VFW hall display piece or a discarded helmet the a marine had painted and taken home for a souvenir?

Any thoughts? Thanks Caleb

post-1575-0-67310100-1473801892_thumb.jpg

post-1575-0-19375200-1473801908.jpg

I just found this helmet at an antique shop yesterday. The price was right but the helmet is odd to say the least. The helmet is a WW1 US discarded helmet as denoted by the punched hole and red stripe across the top. What is odd is the painted fifth marine regiment insignia painted on the front of the helmet. All parts of the helmet appear to be the same age.

Was this a possible VFW hall display piece or a discarded helmet the a marine had painted and taken home for a souvenir?

Any thoughts? Thanks Caleb

"Was this a possible VFW piece"... I like that theory.

81st Division. Here's a question, though. Anybody have an idea about the meaning of the letters surrounding the "wildcat" division symbol? I assume one letter probably represents the company, but the others have me stumped. Any help appreciated.

It represents the division's motto "Obedience, Courage, Loyalty".

• 3 months later...

An honest 1st Field Signal Battalion helmet with the red painted star I picked up a few months ago. This one has some true trench art on it (or bored on the boat), with a heart/arrow motif on one side and USA scratched in the back.

Liner has the name G C Gill, but I haven't been able to track him down yet.

post-5941-0-10888800-1482438767_thumb.jpg

An honest 1st Field Signal Battalion helmet with the red painted star I picked up a few months ago. This one has some true trench art on it (or bored on the boat), with a heart/arrow motif on one side and USA scratched in the back.

Liner has the name G C Gill, but I haven't been able to track him down yet.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161222_142855508.jpg

May I see more of this helmet as I cannot open the .jpg attachments?

• 2 weeks later...