WWI PAINTED HELMETS

BEAST

Jeffrey Magut
Here is my last one. The 102nd Infantry Regiment. I noticed on someone else's earlier post there is one just like this one only better color. This one is dark. I have scene one other of this style and they all have to have been painted by the same soldier. What do you think?

102nd Infantry helmets were painted by a stencil. That is why they all look alike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good timing, I picked up my first WWI painted helmet a few weeks back. Nothing too special, but neat nonetheless. 89th Divisional Engineers (correct me if I'm wrong).

post-1095-1204069245.jpg

post-1095-1204069251.jpg

post-1095-1204069258.jpg

post-1095-1204069267.jpg

post-1095-1204069273.jpg

post-512-1204255536.jpghere is the only painted helmet I have left. It is from a man who served in the 90th Aero Sqdn.

It must have been painted onthe way home, it shows a Liberty ship, Spread Eagle, Airplane ( 94th Aero Markings) and Peace on Earth. It has seen better days and I bet when it was painted it was beautiful, as the renderings are well done. Enjoy Paul

post-512-1204255536.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great helmets guys !!

It's really nice to see so many different Divisions.

Here's another 78th Div. I just got in the mail...

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

Tankers amoured division helmet .

I sat a tankers collar disk on the rim as an extra..

Very Nice! Especially the collar disc, nice extra for the display!

By the way, Happy Birthday to this thread. It's now one year old! Thanks Erick(Beast) for starting this topic!!!! twothumbup.gif

By the way, Happy Birthday to this thread. It's now one year old! Thanks Erick(Beast) for starting this topic!!!! twothumbup.gif

It's been my pleasure!! Thanks to everyone who has contributed and please, keep them coming!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a few helmets this week ......

First up a 30th Div.

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

A battle worn 35th ....

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

A 5th Division....

IMG_0927.jpg

And finally not a painted helmet or a US helmet ,but it came with the 5th Div. helmet..... Cheap !

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

WW1 Helmet Trivia:

Following the end of hostilities in WW1, US Soldiers and Marines were allowed to bring one uniform item home as a souvenier....Most, obviously chose to keep their helmets. As a result, Numerous "little shops" began popping up in nearly every town or city that specialized ( for a fee) in "souvenier painting" and adding "realistic battle damage" to the GI's helmets. This "battle damage" was administered by nothing more than a few errant blows form a ball peen hammer or a glancing pistol shot. The majority of all painted WW1 helmets were done post-war, and one can probably safely assume that any battle damaged or dented helmet was also done post war by GI's wanting to embellish on heroic deeds, and impress family or girlfriends. The garrishly painted camo helmets we see in collections today were not standard on the battlefield during WW1.

The garrishly painted camo helmets we see in collections today were not standard on the battlefield during WW1.

Yup... but they still look cool in my collection! Even my garrish ones! ;)

Here's my 1st Army, 29th engineers helmet, ID'd to James Meyer. His granddaughter who I purchased this from said she thought he had attained the rank of sergeant in WWI but, he also served in WWII and she wasn't certain what rank he gained. She also told me that he went to college after WWI and became a lawyer. Served during WWII and then went back into law.

USMF_Posting_014.jpg

This is my 5th Inf. Div. helmet ID'd to Lt. Angelus Teague Burch. After the war he went into Journalism and retired as an editor for the Chicago Daily News.

Sales_2_041.jpg

SI Gordon
WW1 Helmet Trivia:

Following the end of hostilities in WW1, US Soldiers and Marines were allowed to bring one uniform item home as a souvenier....Most, obviously chose to keep their helmets. As a result, Numerous "little shops" began popping up in nearly every town or city that specialized ( for a fee) in "souvenier painting" and adding "realistic battle damage" to the GI's helmets. This "battle damage" was administered by nothing more than a few errant blows form a ball peen hammer or a glancing pistol shot. The majority of all painted WW1 helmets were done post-war, and one can probably safely assume that any battle damaged or dented helmet was also done post war by GI's wanting to embellish on heroic deeds, and impress family or girlfriends. The garrishly painted camo helmets we see in collections today were not standard on the battlefield during WW1.

This one was definately there. Altho not a painted helmet, it was peppered with shrapnel balls , three went right thru the liner. post-535-1209677127.jpg