WWII Numbered Army Purple Heart to a WIA Marine

bobgee

It's been my experience over many years of collecting that often just when I thought I had it all figured out, something comes along that says "That can't be!" "I know better!"

This little group is a good illustration. What we have is an early flat-enameled, slot-brooch, un-named, numbered (#149920) Army type Purple Heart paired up with a USMC Good Conduct Medal dated 1936-1940 to James V. Tingle. Also has his ER Badge (H&H) and his Basic Badge (Gemsco) and 2 pair of oval dog tags (enlisted w/ fingerprint reverse) & Officer (plain reverse). "No way this PH belongs to this Marine! Someone obviously added it to enhance the value of the group! You got screwed!" Sound familiar?

Creat0005.JPG

Creat0007.JPG

Creat0008.JPG

Fortunately (for me) the only original document with the group was the transmittal letter for the PH which identifies it by number, #149920! The letter is from HQ, Dept of the Pacific, San Francisco dtd 9 Sept 1943 to the Medical Officer in Command, U.S. Naval Hospital, San Diego, CA and from it we learn that Second Lieutenant Tingle was wounded at Guadalcanal. The authority for the award is (strangely) CG, XIV Army Corps G.O. #10 and it further states that "the enclosed Purple Heart is forwarded with the request that it be presented to Lieutenant Tingle, now a patient in the U.S. Naval Hospital under your command."

Creat0009.JPG

Well, we know that this un-named, numbered PH (#149920) is the one that Lt. Tingle received. But why under these circumstances? Why not a Type I USN type PH? Further research located his Casualty Card which revealed that he was a Sgt in "G" Co, 2nd Bn, 8th Marines and was wounded on 24 Nov 1942 at Guadalcanal by shrapnel to the right forearm and a GSW to the left arm. We assume that he was evacuated. He was commissioned in Feb 1943 "in the field" and we only have his OQR. Why the CG, XIV Corps got involved with this Marine is unknown but he did. It may have been that he was in an Army Field Hospital in the Pacific before he reached San Diego. We don't know. Also unsure is the source of the PH itself. Did XIV Corps forward the medal and G,O, to HQ Dept of the Pacific? Or, perhaps, did HQ, Dept of the Pacific procure this PH #149920 from the Army in SF, CA and forward it themselves? Likely we will never know.

But another interesting and seldom seen notation is that some clerk duly noted and entered the PH #149920 in his Officer's Qualification Record (OQR).

Creat0010.JPG

Just a reminder to "never say never" as a collector. If you weren't there when it was awarded, sewn-on, pinned-on, etc., etc., you can never really know, for sure, what is "true' or not. (That statement does not apply to out & out fakes, frauds or alteration of items meant to deceive, usually for a profit.) Do your homework. Get the references. Do the research. Deal with other respected and knowledgable collectors. And remember always, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!"

Good Hunting! Bobgee

Nice example Bob!

Thats the 2nd #'d PH I have seen to a Marine for Guadalcanal, but the 1st with the number documented in his records. NICE FIND.

Kurt

Why the CG, XIV Corps got involved with this Marine is unknown but he did. It may have been that he was in an Army Field Hospital in the Pacific before he reached San Diego. We don't know. Also unsure is the source of the PH itself. Did XIV Corps forward the medal and G,O, to HQ Dept of the Pacific? Or, perhaps, did HQ, Dept of the Pacific procure this PH #149920 from the Army in SF, CA and forward it themselves? Likely we will never know.

Since Marines at Guadalcanal had fought under XIV Corps, and the Purple Heart was not authorized for Navy/Marine personnel until December 3rd, 1942 (just a few days after his wounding), I'd imagine those are the reasons for the XIV Corps reference. That very low GO Number would be from January 1943.

Since Marines at Guadalcanal had fought under XIV Corps, and the Purple Heart was not authorized for Navy/Marine personnel until December 3rd, 1942 (just a few days after his wounding), I'd imagine those are the reasons for the XIV Corps reference. That very low GO Number would be from January 1943.

Excellent theory and very likely correct! Hadn't thought about time-line and the higher HQ as a factor! Getting a copy of that G.O. might be interesting. Thank you!

Semper Fi.......Bobgee

That is an truly great group! Thanks for showing it!

I remember reading in Richard Frank's book about Guadalcanal that there was a CAM (Composite Army, Marine) Division.

teufelhunde.ret

Bob, as alway your medal groupings continue to leave us flat-footed. This one is certainly no exception - would have never guessed. Question about his battlefield commission, do you have info on circumstances. Was he awarded for "valor". Did he stay in the Corps? Thank you for sharing this one-of-a-kind with us! Semper Fi, Darrell

Bob, as alway your medal groupings continue to leave us flat-footed. This one is certainly no exception - would have never guessed. Question about his battlefield commission, do you have info on circumstances. Was he awarded for "valor". Did he stay in the Corps? Thank you for sharing this one-of-a-kind with us! Semper Fi, Darrell

No details on his promotion to 2ndLt. No indication of Valor awards. He made 1st Lt in the USMCR in Feb 1944. His record indicates that he was in & out of the hospital frrquently. He never returned to the FMF. He was promoted to Captain in 1945; left active duty and was affiliated with MCR until he died Nov. 10th, 1963; final rank appears to have been Major.

Semper Fi......Bob

• 3 years later...