USMC FMF-PAC shoulder patch question

Rustykamel

Hi, Pictured below is a FMF-PAC shoulder patch that belonged to my father, who brought it home from Tsingtao, China in early 1946. My father had a 6th Div. patch sewn on his greens. The FMF-PAC patches were worn by units not a part of either the 1st or 6th Divisions? Or, when the 6th was disbanded on April 1, 1946, the former 6th Div. Marines then start wearing the different FMF-PAC patches? Any and all information will be most appreciated, Jim

post-397-1240188698.jpg

OK, maybe my questions didn't make sense. Could anyone at least tell me if I made any errors in the following?

At the end of World War Two, the Fleet Marine Force-Pacific included the six Marine divisions plus the five Aircraft Wings, and was headquartered in Hawaii. In 1945, FMF-PAC provided the balanced air, ground and logistic force sent to North China. The shoulder patch pictured was worn by Marines serving in a supply capacity. The star in the middle indicates this. There were nine of these colorful FMF-PAC patches: headquarters, amphibious tractor, anti-aircraft artillery, artillery, bomb disposal, dog platoons, a DUKW (amphibious truck) company, separate engineers, and supply service. Militaria collectors consider the dog platoon and artillery battalion patches rare items. Other hard to find WWII Marine patches include those worn by the Raiders and the Paramarines, plus the 4th Marine Defense Air Wing. The 1941 Polar Bear patch worn by members of the Sixth Regiment while on duty in Iceland, is also desirable.

Thanking you in advance, Jim

Sounds about right. As far as your dad, he quite possibly was with the FMF and transferred to the 6th. The Marines didn't wear combat patches, as you know.

-Ski

Sounds about right. As far as your dad, he quite possibly was with the FMF and transferred to the 6th. The Marines didn't wear combat patches, as you know.

-Ski

Thank you Ski. I feel a lot more comfortable posting something on my history web site if someone from this forum OK's it. Hands down, all of the different forum members are real experts. Jim