Trace harness for towing field gun

Nkomo

Picked this piece up yesterday at the local surplus shop. Not entirely sure what it is/was used for. I'm hoping some of you WW2 experts can tell me. I picked this up as well as some SAW camouflage top covers and a BEAUTIFUL WW1 German belt buckle.

Picture_220.jpg

Maybe a harness for climbing rocks and such? We have these in construction to keep you from falling 6 stories and going splat.

Is it a military telephone lineman's rope??

Wrap around the pole, using spikes and climb the telephone pole??

Thats my best guess.

craig johnson

Probably not just for the 37mm. They are for dragging equipment. Dont remember the correct name for them.

150019126_SwfDJ-L.jpg

craig_pickrall

It is called a trace.

There are different styles depending on what is being pulled.

Probably not just for the 37mm. They are for dragging equipment. Dont remember the correct name for them.

150019126_SwfDJ-L.jpg

That looks like work, even with five guys. I wonder how far the would move it that way?

You have to love the name of the canvas company that made those: Five Filer Brothers. It sounds like a circus act.

150019126_SwfDJ-L.jpg

Great I.D. ! Guess it was good to be a Corporal, looks like you didn't have to carry a shovel or tow a line! Love the varying web config's also..

In Enjames' first edition GI collectors book, he identifies this as an M-1918 drag rope that could be used to haul a light artillery piece, cart or sled.

craig_pickrall

I didn't think to look in the GI collector set but the instruction sheet that is issued with the item refers to it as a Trace. They come in one and two man variety. I have US made khaki tan, UK made for US khaki tan and US made in white camo. I'm not sure off the top of my head which are one man or two man. Most of those I have are the type used to pull snow sleds.

craig_pickrall

I finally got a chance to copy some info on the Trace Harness. Nkomo, the harness you have is like the one shown pulling the 37 MM Gun. The info I have to post is related to snow gear for pulling sleds but it is the same principle.

This is the instruction sheet that came with the Trace Harness when issued. This is an undated document.

post-5-1240508730.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is the manual that covers such gear. Since the harness is not included in the original issue of the manual I conclude it did not exist in this design in October, 1944 or came into existence to late to be included in the first printing.

post-5-1240508863.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is change 2 to the manual dated FEB 13, 1946. The harness is included at this point. Since the war was over there was probably no rush to update the manual.

post-5-1240509030.jpg

post-5-1240509037.jpg

post-5-1240509043.jpg

post-5-1240509049.jpg

• 4 months later...