Reenacting Rations!!!

mpguy80/08

fortworthgal

I've produced C Rations in the past, but it has been about 2 years. I also did Brit rations at the time. Unfortunately I cannot find any photos, but I'll keep looking. As I recall they weren't terribly difficult or expensive (I work in printing), just somewhat time consuming.

I've produced C Rations in the past, but it has been about 2 years. I also did Brit rations at the time. Unfortunately I cannot find any photos, but I'll keep looking. As I recall they weren't terribly difficult or expensive (I work in printing), just somewhat time consuming.

It's finding the right sized cans for all the diferent rations, also the ingredients (especially in the correct dimensions) ye need, like for instance (and here I am talking about the UK): Fruit bars, compressed cereal discs, K biscuits, canned bacon etc...

Ye can get canned cheese, Kraft of Australia make them, but their far too big for a K ration...

C rations are fairly easy to make, I am surprised no more people are making them, mines are 2mm short of original height:

crations2.jpg

I actually made and provided the edible K-Rats and D-Bars to the mini-series Band of Brothers. I have a good number of left over press board boxes (not photo copied card board stuff). These have the "inner and outer boxes" if anyone is interested send me a PM.

Currahee!

Jake Powers

what kind of paper do you guys use? How do you get it to print?

Rock

On the C rats I use glossy gold paper, which doesn't print out on an inkjet, I had to purchase (I know, I need a life) lazerjet and thats the only way they rpint...

for things like the K ration box, I print multiple pieces of paper, and this gives the effect similar to K boxes...My 10in1 individual boxes (first and second half) I used do the same process but with cardstock, this is time consuming and I don't anymore...Though is closer to the original...

• 2 weeks later...

I was wrong about the tins for the K Ration, just found some which are closer than I have seen previously..A tinned salmon...After several attempts at copying frmo two originals I have in my opsession, plus research...Here is my first draft of the K Ration:

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
A few more things, what you see on the label is what isside, I don't use ring pull cans:

10in1.jpg

LATEST-1.jpg

May-1.jpg

As good as any repro I've seen.

Rock

Hello Everyone,

Just a couple of things: I went to an Asian food market here and they sell Spam sized cans of meat that still use the old keys-I know that modern Spam uses a pull top now, so check it out. Also, I bought a pack of Beeman's and Clove chewing gum at the World Market the other day, which is pretty cool that you can still find that stuff and actually use it. The Beeman's kind of tastes like Pepto Bismal, but it's not bad-and it is wrapped all the way in paper!

Ahh, the tastes of the past...

Cheers,

capa

Hello Everyone,

Just a couple of things: I went to an Asian food market here and they sell Spam sized cans of meat that still use the old keys-I know that modern Spam uses a pull top now, so check it out. Also, I bought a pack of Beeman's and Clove chewing gum at the World Market the other day, which is pretty cool that you can still find that stuff and actually use it. The Beeman's kind of tastes like Pepto Bismal, but it's not bad-and it is wrapped all the way in paper!

Ahh, the tastes of the past...

Cheers,

capa

The local Walmart by me has "Ma-Ling" brand "luncheon loaf" which is the right size and opens with keys as Capa mentioned. Its in the $2.50-3.00 a can range, is made in Canada and tastes pretty good. Its one of our regular staples.

Picture%20005_jpg.jpg

The local Walmart by me has "Ma-Ling" brand "luncheon loaf" which is the right size and opens with keys as Capa mentioned. Its in the $2.50-3.00 a can range, is made in Canada and tastes pretty good. Its one of our regular staples.

Picture%20005_jpg.jpg

Hey, guys, be careful with Ma-Lings - see below!

http://philosophyrecycled.blogspot.com/200...eat-banned.html

I have tried in vain for years to find a cheese food product that would fit in K ration can - bought a case of the Kraft stuff a few years ago only to find, as has been mentioned here, that they don't fit in the K ration cans. Hey, I know we should be happy with what we can get but I would love to actually find foods that were used in the original k-rations - I have even thought about purchasing my own canning kit and filling my own cans, but that is pretty darn expensive.

Great thread, I have enjoyed it!

Best to all

Bill K.

For the sake of oneupsmanship.

IMG_6706.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

Absolutely ..kin Brilliant!!...But can i give a critique?...Yer satin gold paper, and the "strawberry marmalade", as well as the pork luncheon meat (Menu No1 Mnt Ration)?

Have ye got the spec for the 10in1?

If not, let me know, gimmer yer email and I'll post over....

the salt shaker I posted my original, and YOUR copy (?) is a hell of a lot better than mines...Here is my original (scroll down, though the K ration stuff is usefull):

http://www.alliedforum.net/viewtopic.php?f...a&start=180

I did try using a fibreboard of the same diameter, but just couldn't get the top to sit right and was real unhappy with it, so used a modern one re-wrapped...

Canned bacon ye can get (Yoders) but it's really expensive....And the canned cheese as someone said is the wrong size...

I've got the CQD's, including the revisions. Took a trip down to the QM museum years ago and photocopied all that stuff - was invalueable in geting the boxes and specifics of contents all figured out.

The problem with the 10 in 1 is availibility of canned goods to exactly match the original menus.... To some degree, we've compromised on materials regarding couregated vs fibreboard, as welll as canned goods. For what we do have, we try and do the best we can with it - like the salt shaker.

Chris-

I've got the CQD's, including the revisions. Took a trip down to the QM museum years ago and photocopied all that stuff - was invalueable in geting the boxes and specifics of contents all figured out.

The problem with the 10 in 1 is availibility of canned goods to exactly match the original menus.... To some degree, we've compromised on materials regarding couregated vs fibreboard, as welll as canned goods. For what we do have, we try and do the best we can with it - like the salt shaker.

Chris-

I think yer salt shaker is really quite good....

Getting the right stuff is indeed a pain, and when I put something in a box which wasn't originally there, I dialogue, like for instance in the factory, the line manager just wants his bonus and get's the items out...They might be wrong, but his bonus what matters...Having worked in a food factory, I have witnessed this today, don't tell me it didn't happen then ;):D I do find it interesting that here in the UK, w're willing to compromise with foods stuff (and some things I have seen!!), but luckily, with uniforms it's different...

I have a copy of the cqd 140 10th Aug. 1943...if you have scans of others, can you send them to me?...also, I am after the specs for the AAF Flight Lunch?

Hi guys,

Your reproduction work is just amazing! Realy! Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Yannick

Hi guys,

Your reproduction work is just amazing! Realy! Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Yannick

thanks mate...This is the latest, but we didn't do them, got a company to...they are for sale elsewhere...

10in1box.jpg

Hi !

Since a few months, i've remake hersheys tropical bar, but today, i would make others, but i can't remember where i have found the pdf...

Anybody could help me ? =)

• 4 years later...