Picture Worthy AH-1

noworky

My wife and I drove to Salt Lake last summer to see a Cavalry Display at old Fort Douglas, look what we found in the backyard!

Cobra864x576.jpg

Cobra2576x864.jpg

Nice photo. Looks like a demilled AH-1S. The two metal ridges on the canopy are part of the WSP (Wire Strike Protection) kit. There would have been a TSU (Telescopic Sight Unit) on the nose, but it was replaced with the nose fairing in the pic. Also the M-28 turret for the minigun and M-5 40mm grenade launcher has been fared over as well. She would have been capable of firing TOW missiles when operational and would have looked like the bird below. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

AH-1S:

AH-1S.jpg

Ray about when would this Cobra had been used in its original configuration? I was attached to a HAWK missile battery in Korea in 1972. At our HQ at Uijongbun there were some Cobras with the teeth and eyes painted on them and I always thought they had a very intimidating look. And still to this day I love the sound of an AH-1 or UH-1 coming from a distance.

Ray about when would this Cobra had been used in its original configuration? I was attached to a HAWK missile battery in Korea in 1972. At our HQ at Uijongbun there were some Cobras with the teeth and eyes painted on them and I always thought they had a very intimidating look. And still to this day I love the sound of an AH-1 or UH-1 coming from a distance.

The AH-1S was after the AH-1Q of which first appeared in 1973. Those that you saw would have been AH-1G cobras. The same as used in Vietnam. The shark mouth motif was common to a lot of units. As you might imagine Jon (Cobrahistorian) is really the guy to be talking about snakes. He might even have an idea which Cobra unit you saw. If you are interested in the different Army variants of the Cobra, check this thread out at Aircraft Resource Center. I think we did a pretty good job both describing and illustrating the differences. Hope that helps.

Ray

Cobra variants

What the heck, here's you a shark mouth AH-1G -photo courtesy of Robert Brackenhoff, 174 AHC 1970-1971 :

MS-B-0676.jpg

and just for grins a 174th shark mouth UH-1C Huey from Mr. Brackenhoff:

MS-B-0487.jpg

• 1 month later...
Cobrahistorian

Always good to see an Army Snake!

As Ray said, it is an AH-1S(MOD) that was probably upgraded from G model standard.

Ray, minor correction there. The M28 turret housed an M134 minigun and an M129 grenade launcher, not an M5.

Jon

Nice photo. Looks like a demilled AH-1S. The two metal ridges on the canopy are part of the WSP (Wire Strike Protection) kit. There would have been a TSU (Telescopic Sight Unit) on the nose, but it was replaced with the nose fairing in the pic. Also the M-28 turret for the minigun and M-5 40mm grenade launcher has been fared over as well. She would have been capable of firing TOW missiles when operational and would have looked like the bird below. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

AH-1S:

AH-1S.jpg

Always good to see an Army Snake!

As Ray said, it is an AH-1S(MOD) that was probably upgraded from G model standard.

Ray, minor correction there. The M28 turret housed an M134 minigun and an M129 grenade launcher, not an M5.

Jon

My turn to go "DUH". I forget the M-5 refers to the nose turret on the Huey and not the 40mm grenade launcher. Thanks for correcting me.

Ray